Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Dealer repair service experience in DC metro area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer repair service experience in DC metro area

I've recently purchased pre-owned ML55 AMG 00' and looking for a dependable dealer or independent repair shop for future repairs. I'd have to go to a dealer since the vehicle has a year and some months left on factory warranty. Could any one direct me to one? Thought of taking it to Silver Spring Herb Gordon or Vienna H.B.L Inc.

Thank you

Germantown Maryland
ML55 AMG
BMW 528I
Old 08-14-2003, 08:55 AM

I would recommend not taking it to HBL, however I would recommend either American Service Center (ASC) in Arlington or Euro Motorcars in Bethesda, I have never dealt or heard of anything good or bad from Herb Gordon, they probably can't be worse than HBL though.

As far as independent shops once the warranty expires, I recommend Don Allen in Alexandria.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
For your consideration:

Go to an independent expert and tell them that your warranty is about to expire.

Pay for a thorough inspection to list defects, with a view of what kind of warranty work should be preformed by MB to save you big future $$$.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Banned

1981 300SD turbodiesel
I posted this story on the S-class forum, but it's relevant to your question. Mechanic A is Don Allen in Alexandria. Mechanic B is in Charlottesville, VA (a bit far away, granted). My experience with Don Allen was not at all positive. I get the feeling he knows his stuff, but is more than willing to charge an arm and a leg to keep everything like it's just out of the factory. Maybe that makes sense for you, but not for a 22-yr-old car like mine. You be the judge, I guess.

In any case, I though it was totally unethical that he tried to pressure me to sign my title to him. I was particularly vulnerable since the car was undriveable and thus had to be towed to get other estimates. I think he tried to take advantage.

Laura.

Did this mechanic try to rip me off?
Hi, I'm newbie, so be nice. I drive a beautiful '81 300SD, probably 150-200,000 miles on it (the odometer broke years ago and it was never fixed. At this point, it adds character so I just left it).

I thought this might be an interesting question. I have two mechanics. Either one tried to rip me off, or the other has put me back in a car of dubious safety. What do you think?

The story is that three weeks ago, the locking nut that holds my left front wheel popped out. This caused the bearing holder to slip, the bearings to drop, the wheel to tilt a bit, and the inner bearing got ground up completely. It was driven about 1/2 mile before I could safely park it until I could have it towed.

I had it towed to Mechanic A. He estimated the damage at $1000-1100 to fix, basically told me the car's not worth it, and suggested I sign the title over. He's been in business 30 years, an independent who works on Mercedes only, so he's not fly-by-night. But I had never met him before, am female and youngish, and had no real reason to trust him. He diagnosed the bad bearings and also told me the spindle was significantly worn and ought to be replaced.

Given that I don't have $1000 and didn't trust Mechanic A fully, I had the car towed 100 miles away to Mechanic B, who is a mechanic that has been working on the car for 5 years. Good people, also an indendent Mercedes-only shop. If the car was toast, I figured I'd rather hand the title to them than to a shop I don't know. Mechanic B replaced the bearings, wheel seal, and grease cap, repaired the damaged threads, and got me back on the road for $137 ($37 for parts and $100 for two hours' labor).

I called Mechanic A to complain about his high estimate. He insists that the spindle was worn, that it's not safe to drive a car with a worn spindle, and he stands by his estimate. He says rethreading is dangerous and I shouldn't be on the road. Mechanic B insists that the spindle is fine, and that A probably just took off the wheel, saw the popped nut, saw the bearing problem, and guessed a spindle problem from there. He says the spindle's slightly worn but fine, and that A is trying to cover his a** on the high estimate by asserting a spindle problem. He says unless A got significantly into the car, cleaned the grease off the spindle, etc., he wouldn't have had a good look at the spindle anyway.

So: need I be concerned at all about my car's spindle? Or is Mechanic A just a big fat jerk who tried to get the title on a perfectly good Mercedes for free?

Thanks!

Laura
Old 08-19-2003, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
The truth will set you free!

Get a third opinion by MB: Is spindle defective or not? Get the tolerance range.

If it is out of range, it could kill you in a high soeed accident. If you do only city driving and never go over 35 mph -- you are might be ok, -- defective spindle or not.

What does MB say re acceptable spindle tolerance range??

Without that, it's you, DC mechanic, VA mechanic, MBworld forum and lots of various opinions, but NO FACTS.