Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Drove 100 miles with Parking Break On.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 4Matic 2012
Drove 100 miles with Parking Break On.

My mom took my new 2012 GLK to dealer to get some work done. While there, apparently they left the vehicle for her to take with the parking break 100 pct engaged. My mom didn't realize or recognize any of the warning bells or lights. She drove the car 100 miles (bless her heart).
I only discovered this morning. She commented she thought the red lights were just different.
How bad is this? What should I do.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Pull the rear calipers and discs. Check the parking brake pads. I would imagine they are fired and in need of replacement.

Check the rear discs for warpage due to heat from engaged parking brakes for such a long period of time.

Not sure how a big red PARKING BRAKE MFD display as well as BING BING BING sounds was not observed.

Last edited by awiner; 02-28-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Originally Posted by treckerj
My mom took my new 2012 GLK to dealer to get some work done. While there, apparently they left the vehicle for her to take with the parking break 100 pct engaged. My mom didn't realize or recognize any of the warning bells or lights. She drove the car 100 miles (bless her heart).
I only discovered this morning. She commented she thought the red lights were just different.
How bad is this? What should I do.
That can happen to anyone once in a while. Most MB come with drum brakes for parking and emergency braking.

Your GLK has a brake shoe of 180.1mm (7.09") when new, brake drum diameter will get larger as the shoes kept pushing out (as hand/brake is applied). The rear drum brake is a separate mechanism from caliper brake in which the brake pad is in contact with brake disc via pedal (the disc gets thinner so is the brake pad when both wear out.)

I think your rear drum brake (brake shoe and drum) should be fine, although it might have subject to some wear, because no further pressure is added, unlike the brake pad with constant pedal pressure. However it's better to check the shoe wear and make necessary adjustment (to compensate any drum wear) as necessary. Normally you have 2mm allowance before replacement is required for both shoe and drum.

Discussion on the rear drum brake for high performance AMG:
https://mbworld.org/forums/5561375-post17.html
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
He has made 4 posts. Two of them were identical this and the one under GLK X204. Do we think that you could drive for 100 miles with the e-brake on 100%? I think not. He has not returned yet. The suspense is building
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 Miata
Your mom took a vehicle they had provided for her? So it's not your vehicle? Check to see if the parking brake still functions a bit. Leave the parking brake off and drive around and see if you get any warning indicators, which I doubt you will. It has to be auto since its a loaner, I say just return it as it is! The dealership already screws us enough! If there is no major harm done I say no need to take the heat for it.