Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

CAR Magazine: MB plotting to take over McLaren

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 09:45 AM
LOH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAR Magazine: MB plotting to take over McLaren

In the September issue of CAR, there is an article describing plans for MB to take a controlling interest in McLaren and turn it into a Ferrari competitor. MB currently has a 40% stake with the remaining 60% belonging to Ron Dennis and the TAG Group. Potential start-date is 2007 producing a Ferrari-like 3500 cars per year. Three high performance road cars are planned all using V10 engines and carbon fiber composite chassis and body panels. The engine is likely a derivative of a new direct-injection 40-valve dohc V10 currently under development at MB. Forced induction likely to be avaoided for F1-style high revs and instant throttle response. Possible transmission is a direct-shift twin-clutch gearbox. Core values would be light weight, exceptional driving dynamics and active aerodynamics.

1. An entry-level mid-engined two-seat coupe/spyder aimed at the 360 Modena with approx 425bhp. Volume 2500, price 105000 British pounds.

2. A big 2+2 coupe similar to the 456GT with a front-mounted V10 with around 550bhp. Volume 750, price 140000 Br pounds.

3. A mid-engined high-performance supercar similar to the Enzo with a 650bhp V10 with a 10000 redline. Volume 250, price 525000 Br pounds.

This british magazine is fairly reputable I believe and I pray that what they are saying is true. Finally, MB is getting serious about the driving experience with natural aspiration, manual/semi-manual transmissions and light weight. I've loved Mercedes for as long as I can remember, but with the exception of recent AMG products, they've never come close to the total experience like BMW Motorsport, Porsche and Ferrari. And I like the idea of making it a whole separate brand. Interestingly, the SLR is not part of the plan. After it's 7-year life, it may be replaced with an AMG-badged coupe.