Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Unlimited $20 tinted side marker DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2013 | 11:04 PM

2007 c280
Unlimited $20 tinted side marker DIY

Wish this forum had a DIY page I could post this on. No such luck so here it is. Share this Ish.

Starting on this car.

So I've had the scraps of a roll of $9 window tint in my parts locker for years. Ran across it today and decided I would take the time to share what I've been doing for years on my cars. This is an alternative to spending $30 on smoked side markers. 1 roll of limo tint ($9 at Walmart), a heat gun ($10 at harbor freight), and a old credit card or beer box in my case.*

So first, trim a piece of film larger in height and width of the side marker.

Peel the film off the tint, and slap it on the side marker directly. Be as careful as you can to apply it without any bubbles.*

Next take your incredibly sharp pocket knife, razor, or blade.*

Carefully barely pierce the film along the fender side of the gap where the marker butts up to the fender.*

Trace the entire marker with your blade.*

Peel away the excess tint.

Next, snag your heat gun. $10 at harbor freight. I imagine a hair dryer would work perfect too.*

Lastly, use a old credit card or any flat material. Hold the heat gun on the side marker for 15 seconds and heat up the film. You'll see it contract and pull tight. Then using the card or card board massage the wrinkles out of the film. I prefer the thin beer box board because it easily can be used to run in the gap between the fender and the marker to tuck the film around the edge of the reflector.*

You'll need the card or board to massage the wrinkles from the film because it will be hot enough to burn your fingers after the heat gun is applied. Sorry, no pics of this. Hard to tuck, smooth, heat, and snap pics at once.
Be patient and you'll easily be able to perfectly massage the film flat and get it tucked around the reflector.*

When you're done it'll look like so.*

The only wrinkles that you'll be left with are those of the embossed lettering on the reflector, under the tint.*

Why do I prefer tint vs. new markers?*
-it's easily applied.*
-it's easily removed.*
-It comes in different light %'s
-it's glossy to match the paint, not dull, not flat.*
-all orange color still shines through.*
-1 roll covers dozens of cars.
-You can use it on your chrome body trim. Its cheaper and easier to come by than viynl.

Now you have no excuse. Go do yours gentleman.*

Last edited by Stuka Bomber; 05-20-2013 at 07:40 AM.