Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

1986 300E Automatic gearbox conundrum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300e
1986 300E Automatic gearbox conundrum

Greetings

I have searched and read many threads relating to the W 124 Automatic Gearbox, but have not found anything covering my situation.

Service History
I have replaced the gearbox filter, after draining all the At-fluid, including the torque converter fluid. I have filled the torque converter and gearbox with new At-fluid. I found no "pieces" in the gearbox sump tray.

I have also had a Mercedes mechanic test the car afterwards and he said that there was a "blockage" caused by dirt. I booked the vehicle in and had him remove / clean the "blockage".

He had also set the modulator.

Conundrum

Since I bought the vehicle the automatic gearbox was changing beautifully.
Then I noticed that the change from 2nd to 3rd was "labored" and would change from 2nd to 4th, skipping 3rd.
Selecting 3rd manually and then returning to D position kept the 3rd gear engaged until normal change up occurred.

Travelling uphill it would change to 3rd from 4th on its own with no problem.
Also travelling uphill from a dead start the gears would change normally, i.e. 2nd to 3rd to 4th.

Flooring the vehicle from a dead start change is 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th.

Gear change is smooth, with the exception with "normal" driving on a level road 2nd directly into 4th.

Gearbox #: 124270100172232002865950

Can anybody give me some advise?

Thanks
Julian