Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

BIMRRR to a benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW E92 M3
BIMRRR to a benz

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to throw a shoutout.
For the longest time, i have been a BMW fan, and currently own an E92 M3 BMW Edition in Singapore.

I have relocated to Boston for a couple of years, and am hunting around for a car. I was initially looking for an E9X M3 again, but i an AMG car has always interested me. Due to its high engine displacement, the AMG cars are rare in Singapore due to the increased road tax fees (about $7-8K a year). Hence i thought it might be a good idea to enjoy one in the US.

So if you guys could throw out some tips and advice, what to know and look out for, i did really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
C55 or CLK55 are going to be your best bet, and closest to an E46. It's a totally different feel. I've gone from an E46 330ci to a W208 CLK 430. I drove the AMG, I wanted the AMG, but the story goes, W208 AMG's aren't a dime a dozen in this part of CA, the one I was looking at drove, looked perfect the first time I drove it, when I went to buy it, the kids at the dealership who detail the cars must have taken this thing out and drove the hell out of it, brake rotors were warped badly, alignment was off, front fog lamp cracked, front center tow cover strip missing, smell of anti-freeze.... You get the picture.. The 430 I bought was perfect.

Back to the differences, they ride similar in the way that they absorb bumps well, but the Mercedes is definitely softer. The Mercedes is definitely quieter, feels like a larger vehicle. The BMW feels more sure-footed in the corners, and probably is... The Mercedes feels more ridiculous speed wise. Both are similar maintenance wise, in fact, the Merc may even be cheaper, and I'd prefer working on the Merc. Given an E46 M3 and a W208 or W209 CLK-55 and someone saying "you can take either"... I'd have more smiles in the CLK, and I'd chose it every time... I'm a member on e46 Fanatics so I'm not just saying this because it's a benz forum. In the states, 90% of my driving is on Highway 99 or I-5, so the added comfort of the Merc, the ridiculous passing power even in the 430, and beauty of Mercedes help that choice. If I were in Europe, carving corners and squeezing around small villages and mountain passes, E46.

If this helps, I've had not one issue with my Merc, it's been phenomenal.

I'll list the issues I had with each car, and I'll throw my volvo in there to compare:

2001 E46 330ci Sport Premium; Cold Weather; Harman Kardon
Issues up to 80K:
Intake Boot (Common)
Cam Position Sensor
3 Batteries
Every Suspension Bushing
Sunroof Motor
Driver Window Regulator
CD Changer (Died, replaced with iPod Integration)
Headlamp Washer Motor Leak (common) and failure
Rear Main Seal Leak
Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Seal
Small Coolant leak that I couldn't Find.
Medium A/C Leak (every summer charge)
Intermittent Check Engine Light
Expansion tank / Coolant Flush
All Proper Maintenance Performed

CLK 430: Now at 90K
Battery
Trans Flush and Trans harness seal.
Alternator
Interior Trim Clips
Nothing Else
First three taken care of by previous owner, all at the dealer, all A,B services performed and recorded.
Currently Needs:
Steering wheel re-dyed (Cosmetic)
Spark Plug Service - DIY $130
Trans Flushed again (Cringe) $500 (quoted by dealer)
B Service - $300 (Fancy Oil Change)
Drivers Side Motor Mount $70
None of these things affect the drivability at this time, and all but the B Service can wait a few months.

1996 Volvo 850 R
78K Miles (original)
Every Vacuum hose possible.
Intercooler Hoses Collapsing - Upgraded to Silicone
Battery
Ridiculous Oil Change Intervals
Oil Starvation to valve train due to bad pickup seal
Mass Air Flow
Headlamp Switch
Multifunction switch
Dimmer switch
Odometer gear strip.
Oil leaks at turbo
Fuel Pump
Power Steering Rack
Alternator
Timing Belt Service
Despite being stock down to the Stereo, with only a manual boost gauge installed, there were tons of electrical problems in the dash, especially in regards to the dash lights.
Compressor Bypass Valve spring and diaphragm
Dash rattled like nobody's business.
Plugs and wires.
Damn that thing would rip the tires off from a rolling start when the turbo spooled up though, the look on people's faces when they see a wagon doing that was priceless.

1997 Lexus SC400
Trans Flush - $500
Power Steering Pump - $600
Power Steering Rack - $1200
Upper Control Arm - $1200
Differential Flush - $150
Timing Belt Service $1300 (Includes water pump, serpentine belt, etc.)
Center Driveshaft Support Bearing $350

Out of those cars, the Lexus (Supposedly most reliable) had the most costly repairs. The Volvo had the most issues, but that's a Turbo for you. The Mercedes has been the best, and my favorite so far. I've had many other cars, and my most reliable, surprisingly was a Grand Prix GTP Supercharged that I ran HARD, never gave me problems.

Last edited by Scott Simoncic; 07-31-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Volvo
Old 03-02-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
Lol ^^