Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

How to play movie on my Lcd via DVD???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 328i, 2000 ML320
Question How to play movie on my Lcd via DVD???

How do I get my LCD on the stock radio to play DVD/VCR? I have a 2000 ML320 with Navigation system.

I just happen to surf the net and found that someone were able to use their LCD to watch movie instead of buying a new LCD overhead or the headrest.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
If yours has DVD navigation, then you can do it. If it has CD navigation then you can't. I believe the 2000's came with CD. You can still use the TV tuner application, but you have to obtain it from somewhere.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
No - if you have a US ML, it has the MCS, not the COMAND system, so there is no built-in support for any sort of auxiliary video input or TV tuner. The DVD nav does not play movies.

The COMAND system (which comes on all other North American MB's as well as all ML's and other MBs outside of North America) has support for a TV tuner, which is normally only sold outside of the US, but there is an NTSC TV module available for it. (IIRC, it costs something like $500)

However, North American ML's have the MCS system (with the flip-down screen), and the MCS has no sort of aux input.

Fortunately, there is a solution, but it may not be what you want. There are some custom shops that will disassemble and heavily modify your MCS for aux video input. One of the biggest companies involved in modding stock nav systems for video usage is Nav-TV. Their site is at http://www.nav-tv.com .

However, Nav-TV's (and other companies') package for the ML is very expensive (IIRC, on the order of about $1100 if you send in your MCS), and it's only for video. You'll have to get your audio somehow by yourself (e.g. through an FM modulator or something).

So if you are willing to spend that much for the benefit of keeping the stock MB system, go for it. Otherwise for the ML the only other alternative is to replace the MCS with an aftermarket headunit. This will be much cheaper, although you'll have some issues - like the fact that you'll lose the stock CD changer (because of MB's fiber-optic system), plus the fact that anything the car needs to tell you (messages, lock-out code, TeleAid things, etc.) are normally displayed on the MCS screen.

So look through the options - unfortunately, it's a bit more difficult in the US-spec ML than for other MBs or other brands.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Here's the link to Nav-TV's page on the MCS conversion:

http://www.nav-tv.com/products-dealer-ml.htm

It's $1199. Also, you'll have to get it through one of Nav-TV's dealers (check the list on their site).