Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Customer right to observe service work at dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Customer right to observe service work at dealership

Is there a customer right to be able to observe the service performed at dealership to his car? is there anything in the laws?

Im asking because i have very low trust issues with mechanics/dealerships and im going for a CPO covered (hopefully) work done.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLA 250, 2011 C63 P31 (p30 w/ lsd) (in repair), 2005 C230 Sport Eurocharged, 2003 C320~sold
No there is a liability issue with the insurance company. If you get a CPO car and a warranty you shouldn't have anything to worry. CPO checks are very extensive---you can't even have aftermarket tint on the windows. :P
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 PM

C300
you can't have tints on the car if you have CPO warranty? Im assuming you are being sarcastic... because that's incorrect.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by Koolkozak
you can't have tints on the car if you have CPO warranty? Im assuming you are being sarcastic... because that's incorrect.
What he meant is that a MB to obtain CPO certification it can't have tinted windows. Once you purchase the car you can put whatever tint you want on it.

As for the original question, there is no law requiring the dealer to provide you with a viewing opportunity of the service being performed although some dealerships now are built with glass walls to allow such thing. Usually their general liability insurance coverage excludes coverage of customers on the service floor hence the reason they don't allow customers to visit there. NTB, for example has different coverage and they allow customers on the service floor. If I was a mechanic the last thing I wanted is a nosy customer breathing down my neck while I'm performing an oil change but on the other hand I as a customer can't trust mechanics either.

There is also no law that requires you to take the car to the dealership, you are free to take it to any private garage you please and feel comfortable with or you can do your own maintenance. For warranty work your only bet is the dealer as they are the ones getting reimbursed. The only requirement by MBUSA is that you have some sort of legitimate record of actual maintenance being performed on the vehicle.

So if you don't trust the dealer, don't take your car there, period.

Last edited by GregTR; 01-23-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:11 AM

C300
Oh ok, that makes sense. But yes, my service went very well today. I was pleased with the dealership that i went to.