Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Test Drive of A8L

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiscal Neo Con Express
Test Drive of A8L

hey guys,

i test drove an A8L yesterday. i was very impressed with this car. it was electric smooth and very agile. also...and this is going to seem strange...it seemed quicker than my 02 S55 .
the A8L is a large car just like the S class but it drove like a much smaller car. this is the first time i ever drove an Audi and i came away from it very impressed. also....the local Audi dealer is also a VW,Porsche, Mazda, and BMW dealer. in the showroom they have an 03 Silver brand new M5!!! this car is very impressive. i would have test driven it if the battery was not dead .

i'm curious as to what MBworld members opinions are of these 2 cars?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:49 PM

2004 S 600
I tested the A8L when it first came out and I have all the same feelings as you except I didn't get the sense of speed.....I drive a 2003 S600 now with the RennTech upgrade. The current A8 just doesn't have the proper torque ratio for my tastes....MB has spoiled me.

Just announced by Audi is the S8L with a V12.......deposits taken starting Dec. 8 with deliveries in Feb. 2004
Old 11-29-2003, 08:42 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
mercmaniac,

with the kind of HP your S is putting out.....nothing Audi has can even come close .

do you like the new front facia of the 12 cyclinder Audi?
also what do you think of the M5? i have yet to drive it
but i am really looking forward to it
Old 11-30-2003, 10:48 AM

2004 S 600
Treynor on the S board posted his before and after dyno results (actually had video) ............with the RennTech package he got close to 650 HP and also a tremendous increase in torque....on the strip he was running 3.3 second 0-60's and 11.2 in quarter mile I haven't taken mine to the strip....but I have had a lot of "rice rockets" try me out and there's a look of disbelief on their faces when we get to the next light.

I like the front grill on the S8.......comes from Bugatti supercar design I would imagine. Of the shots I've seen (auto spies) the whole look I think is thrown off by the large front German plate meant for remote control photo ticketing. Here in Georgia there is no requirement for front tag....so I think it will be a great looking car.

The M5, IMO, has always been one of the top 4 door sports cars.....wish MB could engineer the suspension and steering on the AMG models the way BMW does.....but lately MB has been kicking BMW in the rear as far as powerplants are concerned. Definately plan to test drive one.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:45 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
650 HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!