Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Need purchasing advice for the first car I buy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes s350
Need purchasing advice for the first car I buy.

Hey people,

I've been driving for around 3 years now. My current car is a fully loaded 2003 s350 but I've been having problems with it regularly for the past few months and I'm already bored of that car since it was passed on to me. I'm ready to finally purchase the best car that suits my wants with the budget I have.
Here's what I'm looking for in a car in no particular order:

65000$ budget

Great acceleration

Turbocharged/supercharged preferably for high altitude driving ( 1500 meters)

Acceptable fuel consumption

Steering column mounted paddle shifters

AWD grip for bad weather and very slick tarmac

Good handling for spirited driving

4 doors or 2 doors seating 4 adults

A certain degree of luxury since I've been driving an s class for a while

Good to decent ride quality since roads are terrible here with potholes everywhere and uneven road surfaces

That being said, I've done a fair bit of research and a few available (brand new) cars that are to my liking have been the CLA and A 45 AMG. I also like the Grand Cherokee SRT8 but I'm struggling to find a need for it since it is rather large with equally large fuel consumption.

I know there aren't that many cars that fit my well studied criteria but just in case I missed a few good cars that fit my description, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
How about the new C class ?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM

Mercedes s350
I thought about that too. The new C class has still not arrived at the dealership but I reckon a well optioned C 400 4matic would cost well more than an a 45 amg am I right? Where I live, the most basic A 45 amg with a few optional extras costs 100000$ so my options are limited.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I didn't figure that a C class AMG would cost 100,000 USD. All I know that is C class has much better quality and comfort than CLA (per the dealer). Do you really need that huge performance of AMG? Anyway good luck in your search. Have you considered other brands such as Dodge charger / challenger, the new Mustang, or Camaro, or even the smaller Audi's???

Last edited by pamiboy; 04-23-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Mercedes s350
Originally Posted by pamiboy
I didn't figure that a C class AMG would cost 100,000 USD. All I know that is C class has much better quality and comfort than CLA (per the dealer). Do you really need that huge performance of AMG? Anyway good luck in your search. Have you considered other brands such as Dodge charger / challenger, the new Mustang, or Camaro???
I will ask about the new C class. Performance has always been my top priority in a car but I still want luxury and comfort. Why would I ever consider a mustang, camaro or a dodge. None of those are luxurious, offer AWD and provide decent fuel economy.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Where are you? If you are in a place where the A45 costs $100, 000USD then obviously $60,000 cannot buy any new AMG. You will have to buy a used AMG.
Previous AMGs dont have AWD so no luck for you there.
If the A45 costs $100k then a loaded W205 C400 will also cost around $100k wherever you are located.
To meet all the needs that you posted then you may have to seek a used Audi S model.
Good luck