Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Insurance for mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
Insurance for mods?

With all the mods folks are doing (COMAND, retrofitting steering wheels/clusters,wheels, bodykits, etc) on our cars, whats the view on insurance and coverage for these added options?

Will insurance cover factory options that you retrofit (COMAND, TV tuners, V60 upgrades) without adding them seperately to your policy?

Do non-factory wheels, bodykits, and other options require additional coverage?

Is addtional coverage worth it?

Anyone?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Good luck, I porbably have over 15k into my car and state farm tells me to save receipts and they will not cover directly anything extra i have in my car
Old 12-11-2003, 05:40 AM

1981 Fullsize Jeep Cherokee Laredo Widetrack
Post Insurance?

You won't have to worry about anything other than maybe an agreed value clause on your policy if you add aftermarket stuff like bodykits, spoilers (puke), non-factory rims/wheels, even engine modifications..... The same goes for any rebuilds/remans of the engine or transmission.

If you do anything heavy, like seriously change your suspension (like turn it into an MB Baja buggy), fuel system and powerplant (like convert over to diesel, propane, or top-fuel dragstrip goodies), then your car will be in a "homebuilt" category, and will need a new title from the state. However, those laws vary from state to state.

Other advice I can give is, if you have anything like State Farm, or Farmers Insurance, change it NOW. They are the hardest to deal with when it comes to any sort of loss involving a modified vehicle. Most of the time they will flat out refuse to give you anything other than Blue Book value no matter how many receipts you have.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
You CAN Pay Extra for Custom and Add On Equipment
That will cover NON Factory Items.. Rims aftermarkit stereo
Items Like a Factory Comand and factory AMG Items Will be covered since its a OE part...The car came or was made with the Item from the Factory..
The Coverage is NOT a Lot of extra Money...its well worth it..
and Please take pics and keep records of purchace price and dates of install
Old 12-11-2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by MARK CUMMINS
You CAN Pay Extra for Custom and Add On Equipment
That will cover NON Factory Items.. Rims aftermarkit stereo
Items Like a Factory Comand and factory AMG Items Will be covered since its a OE part...The car came or was made with the Item from the Factory..
The Coverage is NOT a Lot of extra Money...its well worth it..
and Please take pics and keep records of purchace price and dates of install

I have Geico, and they were great about covering all of the mods on my truck, everything from the custom interior and exterior to the ICE. And like Mark pointed out, it's not a bunch extra.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:24 PM

'05 E55
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to look into it. I think its worth it if the cost is minimal.