Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Need Some First Time MB Purchase Advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Need Some First Time MB Purchase Advise

Hello,

My name is Phillip. I am looking for a daily driver and have found some decent looking MB along with a few other vehicles. I need advice on what problems each car are commonly associated with and how much maintenance cost are and how hard it is to obtain parts. I am lost when it comes to MB and this would be my first MB.

I found a 1997 E420 with 210k miles and the AMG package, it looks like a clean solid vehicle and I plan to go look at it tonight or tomorrow. It does have wheel well rust.

I am also considering a 1998 CLK320 with 160k miles. The interior is nice but the outside has some issues. It has a decent sized rust spot on the trunk deck, rust on the wheel wells, and the front bumper is hanging down.

How many miles do these each typically last? How bad are rust problems? From what I've read they are common on the CLK's. I know that a few cars on the road have problems with timing chains or timing belts, do MB typically have these problems?

I look forward to hear from you all.