Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Help needed choosing a car: C55, CLK55, ... other?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
-
Help needed choosing a car: C55, CLK55, ... other?

Looking for a word of advice. I'm likely to spend a year or two in Japan, and although I want a car, I don't want to spend a fortune on it since I can't realistically bring it back (unless I get into Skylines and the like, which I don't feel like at this point in my life, heh). So I think I've narrowed down my choice to an AMG of some kind. I'm looking for some opinions on what to get. I come from the BMW world, where I know more or less every generation inside out, but unfortunately, I am a complete dilettante when it comes to Mercedeses.

So my question is this. I am looking to spend around $15K, and in that price range, I seem to have the CLK55 and the C55 of various years available, between 2001 and about 2005-2006 or so. Quad-exhaust and dual-exhaust CLKs and (I think) only the 2005-2006 MY C55.

Any thoughts on which one is more fun to drive? I am not partial to four or two doors, though smaller car would be preferred. How is reliability of those models? Should I look for an older car with lower mileage, or higher mileage but newer generation?

Also: tunability is valuable. I know the CLK500 can get a pretty good flash tune, but this model was never for sale in Japan. The CLKs topped out at 320.

Any opinions welcome. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 12-31-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
-
Ok, so having read a bit around the forum, I seem to have formed an opinion, at least about the CLK55/C55 in the 2002-2005 range.

- it seems there is little difference between the CLKs from 2003 to 2006. Brakes are improved, as is steering and possibly audio system, but the engine is the same, and most other components are the same. Suspension possibly a little bit better on the 2005/2006. That said, a lower mileage 2003-2004 seems like a better investment. Most importantly, the "quad" exhaust seems to be fake, so NOT a reason to buy.
- PPI is a must.
- A few threads discussed a number of possible things to change during certain mileage intervals. But since I'd be buying in Japan, their mileage tends to be low in general - I do not see any cars on the market with more than 80,000 kilometres (50K miles), so I suspect I wouldn't need any major maintenance in any case
- for the C55 vs CLK55 question, it seems to not matter. I'm guessing whatever is the better deal, I should get?
- for tunes and mods, looks like I need the Eurocharged tune for the ECU/TCU, and maybe Kleemann headers, but that's probably a little bit later. This does not seem to matter on C55 vs CLK55, in the sense that both take the same mods?