Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

The Two Happiest Days...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350 BTC
The Two Happiest Days...

Most people associate this with boats, but...

Two of the happiest days I've had are the day I picked up - and the day I GOT RID of my Mercedes.

I had trouble since day 1 - literally.

Below is a letter that I wrote to Stephen Cannon (CEO of MB USA) back in December 2013 when my 2012 ML350 BTC was not quite 18 months old. However, at that time I had not had to replace the rear brakes (AGAIN) at just under 50k miles.

Someone from MB USA responded to the letter saying that they were confused because I didn't ask for anything and then said that they were prepared to offer me $3,000 off of my next new Mercedes. Really? I just wanted them to know about the inferior products they're producing these days.

I'm back in a GMC Yukon, my fourth - the first three being problem free!

---------------------------

December 5, 2013

Mr. Stephen Cannon
CEO
Mercedes-Benz USA
One Mercedes Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645

Re: 2102 Mercedes-BenzML350BTC – VIN: 4JGDA2EB6CA070844

Dear Mr. Cannon:

I am impressed with what I have seen of you inthe media, your background, and what you seem to be trying to do with Mercedes-BenzUSA. Because of this, I thought that youmight be interested in my experience with my first Mercedes product. It has not been stellar.

First, a bit of background… I decided in 2011 to make my first Mercedespurchase – a 2012 ML350 BTC. Although Ihave owned several luxury brands in the past (BMW, Cadillac, Acura, Infiniti)this was to be my first Mercedes. I wasreally impressed in the changes that resulted in the 2012 model and just had tohave one. As I told my family, this wasdefinitely the most researched vehicle I had ever purchased.

On December 2nd I placed my order forthe ML350 with just about every package and option available. Because of the equipment I had chosen, it wasApril 14th before I would be able to take delivery, and even then Iwas unable to get the Dynamic Handlingpackage as it had been made temporarily unavailable (and seems like it is nolonger an option). I was a very proudnew owner.

I had also decided through all of my researchthat my wife’s next car would most likely be an SL550. We would become a “Mercedes family”. I needed the utility of the ML350 (especiallythe rear cargo area for our dogs) but also wanted to share in the thrill ofdriving an SL550 convertible.

Now I am wondering if buying an SL550 wouldreally be a wise decision.
Just after taking delivery of my ML350 in Floridaand on my way back to the Atlanta area, when the vehicle had less than 100miles on it, the Check Engine lightcame on. The dealer diagnosed this to bea bent bracket which held a vacuum actuated valve (documented as “solenoid forEGR off center causing arm to bind and not reach full throw”). The bracket was apparently bent duringassembly of the engine or installation of the engine into the vehicle. Of course this was “the first time” thedealer had ever seen something like this.

With 8,300 miles on the vehicle, I took thevehicle to the dealership because of an engine oil leak. The diagnosis was “turbo resonator seal came apart”. The seal was replaced along with a drive belt that had becomecontaminated with oil.

At 22,300 miles, I returned to the dealership forfront wheel alignment due to unusual tire wear (I had opted not to have thetires rotated based on advice from family in the “high end” automotive trade inEurope so I will assume blame for the tire wear) and to ask about, whatappeared to me to be, very unusual wear on the brake rotors – especially theleft rear.

The brake pads appeared to be scoring the rotorsand creating deep “grooves”. I hadfailed to bring this up when leaving the vehicle for the 20,000 mile serviceand then also forgot when I picked up the vehicle. I was told that the rotors are a “wear item”and it is not unusual to get some grooving. Being my first Mercedes and not knowing any better, I left thedealership without anything being documented. At present, I feel foolish for not at least taking pictures to keep formy records.

When I had the 30,000 mile service performed, ONE(and only one) of the rear brake pads was down to the metal while the otherthree rear brake pads showed "normal" wear. The dealership told me that they consultedwith the area MB service representative and were told that there was nothing abnormal with the wear. REALLY! When 1 of 4 rear brake pads is worn to themetal and the other three have significant life left in them – and there iswhat appeared to me to be very unusual scoring on the rotors? There was also 70% remaining on the frontbrake pads.

The dealership (and not MB USA) thought that therear brake wear was unusual enough that they covered a significant portion ofthe cost of the complete rear brake job including pads, rotors and labor, but Iwas still almost $200 out of pocket. Thank you RBM of Atlanta-North for your goodwill, and no thank you to MBUSA.

Just before I was due for my 30,000 mile service,the traffic information disappearedfrom the navigation system. I madeseveral attempts over the phone with SiriusXM to correct the problem but theyfinally told me that there was apparently a hardware problem and I would needto take the vehicle in to the service department. Since I was planning to go for the 30,000mile service anyway, I would not need to make a special trip to the servicedepartment just for this.

It took quite a while for the servicetechnician(s) to thoroughly diagnose the problem and I believe they (like I hadprior to taking the vehicle in for service) spent quite a long time workingwith SiriusXM. The diagnosis was thatthe Satellite Radio Control Moduleneeded to be replaced. By the time thediagnosis was complete and the part could be located and shipped to thedealership and installed, I was without my vehicle for a complete seven dayweek.

Less than three weeks later, I was greeted by awarning on the instrument cluster informing me “Left Front SRS Malfunction Service Required”. Here I am again in a loaner vehicle while thedealership waits for parts. The currentdiagnosis is that I should be able to pick up my vehicle on Monday – yetanother seven day period in the shop. Many thanks to RBM of Atlanta-North for providing me with an E400 thistime instead of their normal C250 or GLK loaners since I frequently havebusiness clients in my car.

So much for “Das Beste oder nichts” as the newmarketing campaign goes. I have not hadso many problems with a vehicle since my 1998 Ford Expedition.

Now maybe you will understand why I am hesitantto make an SL550 our next vehicle purchase.

Your sincere feedback will be appreciated.

Truly frustrated,
Jason...
Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
I certainly understand your plight. When a Mercedes runs properly it is a joy. However when it malfunctions as most cars do, at some point in their life, it is an expensive time consuming frustrating experience. I, personally, have been on the edge of "bailing out of Mercedes, for the last few years. I haven't yet, because of the love the car gives me when it is right, but approaching retirement with a fixed income, I don't know how much longer I can remain [B]"A Proud Mercedes Owner".
Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
It sounds like you may have been able to push MB for a lemon buy back.

Sadly, there are problems with everything manufactured as you can't always ensure perfect consistency.

Enjoy the new car. Hopefully MB treats me well, otherwise I will bail. This is my first MB as yours was.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic, 2011 335i; 2006 C230 (sold 4 yrs ago)
That was a well written letter even if they didn't really DO anything about it. Hopefully the bugs get worked out
Old 03-30-2022, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaguar xf
test