Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Changing my 2004 c240 water pump.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes Benz c240
Changing my 2004 c240 water pump.

I really couldn't find a good video on changing my Benz c240 2004 water pump which was wobbling, noisy and had split a rib on my fan belt. When I bought the new water pump it seemed like an awesome task. A lot of screws.
If you do decide to change your water pump get you a piece of paper and draw a diagram of your water pump with all the screw locations and also get you a Ruler. Yes I said a ruler, a wooden or plastic measuring stick. Look at your new water pump so you know which bolts are coming out. There are 17 or more bolts, and 2 lower hoses connect to your water pump. Your upper Alternator bolt is attached to your water pump but the lower alternator bolt is attached to one of your radiator hoses and helps if you remove it.
There is an electrical plate connected at the top of your water pump, remove those 2 screws. Now your water pump has several bolt lengths unless you are a genius, I recommend removing and measuring each one and noting it at its position on your diagram. I guarantee you it will save you a lot of grief.
I did a great job removing the water pump with little or no glitches. The gasket appeared to be the original Mercedes Gasket which was in excellent shape and I opted to reuse it instead of the new one supplied. Re-installing was easy. I placed screws at the extreme ends if the water pump to keep the gasket in place and with ease placed the water pump in position screwing in both bolts but not tightening them. Using my notes I measured each bolt and placed them in the corresponding hole. Piece of cake. Took me about 5 hours because I didn't want to rush, and since I had no power tools my 58 year old hands needed a break. HAVE FUN. Use Zerex 05 anti freeze says for Mercedes, it is basically clear.

Last edited by Bennzy; 04-15-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Adding something