Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

wrong to call for estimate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
wrong to call for estimate?

is it wrong for a customer to call for an estimate, say like on a major service? It seems when I call for an estimate, so that I can be prepared for the expense, they are hestitant to say or are like reluctant to tell you. Anyone else get that?

being a college student, paying for services kinda get expensive, so i just want to know how much i will be expecting to pay.

BTW, anyone know ballpark of what a 135k major service would cost on my '94 c220?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
"service estimate"

Here's the game played by dealer service departments: The object is to see how high a $ authorization they can get you to sign without telling you specifically what they'll do. That way they can do anything they want up to the limit you authorized. And they will hit that limit. Unless you go in with a specific problem like a leaking water pump they, and you, can only guess without actually looking at the car. Certain parts have known service limits...like plugs, filters, fluids and some can be measured or inspected like brake pads, tires, belts, and wiper blades. Your car probably came with a book that lists recommended service intervals by part. You would need the service history to know what's been replaced and when. My suggestion: Go to an independent MB garage and have them look at it. They know what "usually" needs replacement by model/year/mileage and they'll give you a better price. 'Standard' service intervals, like the A and B etc. generaly check fluid levels and look for wear and are overpriced (IMHO), but very important. You can check most/all of the things they look at in just a few minutes. Engine and transmission oils, and brake and coolant fluids are important to replace at recommended intervals.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
yea, right now i'm going to a independent dealer that specializes in MB and Porsche. Their labor rate is $60/hour on service and repairs...better than the $95/hour at the dealer.

i'll give em a call tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Gave them a call. Surprised the guy remembers me from a month ago when I was in there for the first time. Independent dealers take the time to explain everything and even offer to quote me on a repair estimate right then. Great people

Anyhow, he said on the w202...the 120k major service is the MAJOR of them all. The 135k "major" is just to check over everything really, oil change, shouldn't cost more than $100. So all looks well.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
assuming....

"120k major service is the MAJOR of them all. The 135k "major" is just to check over everything" assuming that the 120K was even done.....do you know for sure? Is there a dealer/mechanic record? Hopefully so.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: assuming....

Originally posted by mleskovar
"120k major service is the MAJOR of them all. The 135k "major" is just to check over everything" assuming that the 120K was even done.....do you know for sure? Is there a dealer/mechanic record? Hopefully so.
Of course i know for sure, I paid for it :p $800 for the service and I do have the records. And there was A LOT done for that service (oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, drain and change ATF, serpetine belt, lubrications, etc).

So i guess the 135k should be simple. this independent is a well-known dealer, so I trust their judgement. I will make sure of what they are doing when I bring it in though.

www.hatchandsons.com --> that's them.