Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

My European Delivery Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA 250
My European Delivery Experience

Hi Everyone,
Just joined the forum. I am bit more active on the CLA specific forum, but I thought Id share my experience here as well.
I recently took delivery of my CLA through the European Delivery Program and wanted to share the experience.

Here is a video of my trip:

So after many months of hanging around the CLA forum, absorbing as much information as I could get. I was finally able to work out a deal with my dealer on European Delivery. And I personally think I got an amazing deal where I was paying only $20 more a month for 3 year lease as compared to my financing of my smart car which costs 2-3 times less.

So why European Delivery? Good question. Just the notion of being able to pick up your car in Europe exudes extra cost and a fee for being "privileged" to do so and would ward any budget conscious person away. I am glad to say, that is not the case. European delivery is within reach of anyone on the market for a CLA or any other model offered under the program. But I digress.

It all started with a YouTube suggestion on a BMW European Delivery. I was actually looking into videos for the newly released 2015 smart fortwo, and I guess Google thought I'd be interested in seeing other videos. I spent late nights, up until 3am, watching videos of people sharing their BMW experiences with European Delivery. I was enamored at how the simple delivery process takes such an eloquent, romantic yet exciting twist when taking delivery in Europe.

Then one day a video from YouTube user 4JD popped up as a suggestion. It was of him taking delivery of his CLA45, about a year ago now, at the Center of Excellence. Having a smart, I was intrigued in staying in the Daimler family but moving up in the brands. But that hadnt yet peaked my interest.

After some time, another video popped up as a suggestion by YouTube from user Kirk Simmons. I watched his and 4JD's videos over and over several times. But in one of the videos when the owner choked up when the rolled out his car, I felt the emotion too. And from that point on I started my in depth research.

I visited mbusa.com/europeandelivery and read the highlights of the program and literally thought it was too good to be true. Ill be honest, I did cross shop with the Volvo S60 and BMW X1, but the program with Mercedes was more extensive and the CLA came with much more bang for the buck compared to the other vehicles.

I sent blanket emails to several dealers nearby (luckily in NY we are blessed with several dealers within a few miles from each other), and I even sent emails as far as California (to a self-professed European Delivery Expert). Many dealers never heard of the program, or weren't willing to budge with negotiating. Luckily I found 3 dealers willing to work with me, I had gone through great discussions with a California dealer to the point of putting in an order, but in the end I was quoted an astronomical money factor that cancelled out any negotiated discount and we departed with a heated exchange. Then I worked with a dealer in Maryland, but I was eventually offered a better deal locally. They do say things happen for a reason. I met with a salesperson at MB of Manhattan. I was initially skeptical of working with a Manhattan dealer, assuming they would be less willing to negotiate given their clientele is in the higher pay bracket. But the salesperson I worked with was an amazing guy, there was nothing shady and everything was upfront. My numbers matched with theirs and there was 100% no pressure atmosphere. It was probably the most breezy transaction I ever conducted. I know what I wanted and for how much, and I got it. So enamored was I with the experience that I placed an order without even test driving the car.

I made my decision based on the youtube videos, reviews and the experience of the kindness and sense of comradery I felt on this forum.
Things moved quick from there I placed the order in February, the car was built one month out in April and I signed papers the end of April. I spent the whole month of May for my European Delivery, I made a whirlwind tour of Abu Dhabi, India, Stuttgart (start of ED), Dachau, Luxembourg, Brussels, London (via the EuroTunnel), Reims, Paris (end of ED), and Iceland.
As I have already noticed this post has become a huge essay so Ill limit my post to the ED delivery experience.

So I arrived in Stuttgart from Frankfurt via the ICE train. If you havent tried, it is a fun experience. Plus the trains stop literally across the street from the hotel. Just a word to the wise, be sure to take luggage that has wheels as carts are scarce and Deutsche Bahn ground staff arent well versed in English when asking for help.
We didnt get the desired delivery date so we stayed at another hotel until the next day. Plus I had to rent a car for one day. I had booked a compact with Sixt for $50. Luckily I went late enough when there were no cars available, and managed to get a BMW M550d wagon. As it was already broken in, so I did some serious Autobahn on my day trip through Germany. If yall remember my post, before leaving, about going Museum, Dachau, Neuschwanstein Castle. That ended up being truncated as we cut out the castle.

Back in Stuttgart, the room at the Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin was nothing short of amazing. I am pretty confident that the room was different as compared to the standard room depicted on TripAdvisor, as this room had a separate bedroom and sitting area (more like a one bedroom suite). It was amazing. I had an amazing view of the Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof with some excellent views of the three pointed star atop the station.
The breakfast in the morning at the hotel was exquisite and also had a beautiful view of the station. I had one the best omelettes I had in a long time.
The next morning we found a taxi right in front of the hotel and the taxi drivers were MORE THAN EAGER to take the taxi coupon from you. Apparently there is something about MB reimbursing in the form of diesel or gas. I didnt quite get what the driver was saying.
Luckily we didnt catch much traffic the way to the factory. And the approach is pretty nice with the huge Kundencenter sign and a nice driveway to the actual entrance.

The truck load of luggage I took was promptly removed by a gentleman who directed me to the export check in. I signed in and there was some paperwork to bring the car up. I took the 10:30am tour and came back around 12:30pm. Did some shopping at the store. Did final paperwork, signed the final papers.

I asked if the red bow was on my car, unfortunately I was told the MBUSA forgot to mention it them, so as compensation, they gave me 4 4gb Flash Drives that look like a keyfob. I had asked for the MB European Delivery badge they put on the grill, but I was told they stopped making those, but theyll check if they have any. The lady came back with 4 badges. I said I only needed one, she laughingly said, "the other three is for when you come back for the next 3 cars you buy".

We made our way to the second floor overlooking the delivery floor. My check-in lady handed over my paperwork (vignettes) and GPS to be installed to a lady at the desk who handed it over to the English speaking agent. Just as the paperwork was being handed over, I noticed the gate open and my car rolling out, unfortunately I wasnt able to get to my phone quick enough and I wanted to at least see it with my own eyes rather than the moment pass looking for the camera.

The agent who was explaining the car to me just explained how the radio works and how to shift gears. He also assisted in connecting my phone via bluetooth. He also set up the GPS unit. But he didnt go as indepth as most American dealers do with opening the hood, explaining the features and such. I asked if I could leave the car there while we went and had lunch. He said no. So I parked in front of the Kundencenter entrance. Unfortunately under a tree that was in the middle of letting off sap.

But before the parking, I brought it in front of the huge Mercedes insignia in front of the "waterfall" and was taking pictures with family. Just as we were finishing up, a tour group finished their tour and started taking pictures of my car. A few Australians, Korean and UK groups asked me to take a photo of them with my car. I just respectfully asked them just not to lean up against it as it was only "10 minutes old". As soon as I finished, a huge tour bus of Japanese business men came with their banner and, I kid you not, there is a picture out there of my CLA with 50 or so business men representing some Japanese company. They thanked me for the opportunity. Somewhere there is a picture in a Japanese company newsletter with my CLA, and my parents in the car. haha. Just before a school trip of students came, I high tailed my car out of there and parked it on the side under some sap releasing trees.

We had lunch. The menu was limited, but we did have champagne to celebrate the moment. My father is less of a frilly man, so he had a beer. If you are vegetarian or avoiding red meat, your options are limited. But the drinks and dessert selection is good. I found it funny that poultry was non-existent on the menu. The certificate they give you for lunch/dinner at the restaurant was sufficient for 3 people. With that, three people were able to have lunch, drinks, desert and coffee with only a few Euros over (I think about I had to pay 8 Euros).

The experience at the factory was good. The tour was very nice. I also visited the smart factory after in Hambach France, and the MB factory showed you the actual welding and chassis manufacturing in addition to final assembly for the S. Smart only showed the final assembly in great detail. But smart works differently compared to Mercedes. The MB tour was well planned out, the factory has points specially designed for tour purposes. The floor workers were tremendously friendly.

After lunch we headed out for our whirlwind tour of Europe the next day. We visited Luxembourg, Brussels, London, Reims and Paris over the course of two weeks. Other than Paris, I was able to find parking everywhere with ease. In Paris, I did find parking a few feet away from the Eiffel Tower but there is some anti-visitor method of buying a parking pass from a Tabac store. When I went to the Tabac, they ran out of cards. But in Belgium I was able to park the street over from the Grand Place. In Reims, parking right next to the Cathedral complex or Taittinger's lot. There was a bank holiday in London the day I went, so it was easy breezy. Luxembourg was relatively easy, but being a small duchy, it required great judgment. Luckily I had Park Assist, so all I did was press a button and change gears.

It was an epic time. Everywhere I went people would look at the car. Im not sure if it was because it was a CLA or because of the uncharacteristic violet color. But I did notice a lot of people paying attention to the license plate with great curiosity and telling other people to look at it too. I dont know why. I dont what the plate gives away, other than that it is an export.

Driving was pleasant in Germany and everywhere else, even London. Paris was bit nerve racking as cars come just short of touching bumpers in daily traffic. But I noticed the police are very accommodating to tourists who stop their cars in areas they arent supposed to (i.e. L'Arc de Triomphe) to take pictures. I got a cute smile from a pretty female French police officer.

I was worried about driving in London given they drive on the other side of the road, but luckily I had my father in the passenger seat so I was able to manage blind spots and curbs with his assistance. I am sure, had I gone alone, it would have been a bit nerve racking. I highly suggest the EuroTunnel. If you book in advance, like the Deutsche Bahn, tickets arent that expensive for a interesting experience. I know Amtrak has a similar service here from Baltimore to Sanford, Florida, but this was a novel experience for me.

I eventually dropped off my car at CDG before my flight to Iceland. The process was quick. Cleaned the car in advance as many bugs had martyred themselves along my bumper. I found the machine to be cool. It was there I met a couple also from New York finishing up their European Delivery with BMW and taking delivery of their M4. We exchanged pleasantries and took pictures of each other in front of the cars. And eventually ended up following each other to the drop off.
Unfortunately I missed the Friday truck by a few hours, and so my CLA is currently waiting till this Friday to hitch a ride to Bremerhaven.

Thankfully, we were blessed with PERFECT weather, no incidents with the car and for me clean and efficient hotels. So in the end it turned out my European "test drive" made me fall in love with my CLA. And now we wait.

Ill cut this essay short as I could go on, I dont know when to shut up. But if you have any questions please do let me know, I am more than happy to answer. Of course your likes are appreciated.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:24 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Thanks for sharing, Spartacus88. This was a good read.

You get your car home, yet!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic, 2011 335i; 2006 C230 (sold 4 yrs ago)
Nice write up
Old 11-16-2015, 10:56 PM

E39
thanks for sharing this! nice write up. even watched the video.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Awsome write up! That video was very cool! Great song as well! In all the years I have been buying Mercedes I still have not done a Euro Delivery yet. Your thread is amazing!
Old 11-29-2015, 01:04 PM

CLA 250
Thank you everyone. I highly suggest the experience. The money you save more than makes up for the trip so you come out about even. I recommend it, MB takes real good care of you, putting you up in a 5 star hotel suite in the center of Stuttgart! You literally do not have worry about anything.