Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Audi Vs MBZ Vs BMW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Originally posted by thegentleMAN
Nothing really... I just found that info out, I wasnt sure. I wanted to confirm it... I should have put a '?' at the end.
http://www.vwgroupsupply.com/br/vwgr...ly.brands.html
http://www.audi.com/com/en/company/s..._companies.jsp
Old 02-26-2004, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does VW actually make these other cars or do they just have an affiliation? I can see a resemblance of VW and Audi, but not really the others. Lamborghini has some similarities too, mainly the interior and wheels.

Last edited by thegentleMAN; 02-26-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:12 PM

2014 E350S4
Does VW actually make these other cars or do they just have an affiliation? I can see a resemblance of VW and Audi, but not really the others. Lamborghini has some similarities too.
Uh, I think VAG just owns them. I'm sure there's some platform sharing, like Ford does with its cars, though.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C 320 CDI 4M W204 / C43 AMG (W202) / C 220 CDI T (S203) / ZX-10R Ninja
Originally posted by Incendiary
I'm sure there's some platform sharing, like Ford does with its cars, though.
Yes that's it. For excemple the VW Golf IV and the Audi A4 are made by the same platform, also the VW Passat and Audi A4.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I feel
1. Benz
2. BMW
3. Lexus

Then there is everyone else in an order I could care less about (Caddy, Lincoln, Audi, Infiniti, Volvo etc).

Make your next car a Mercedes-Benz Seriously, we need more true car guys like you on *our* team!

BTW, you've done a great job with the seloc website (I've lurked on there a few times). We definitely need to hook up at the donut derelicts or somewhere.

Last edited by Chappy; 02-27-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Re: Audi Vs MBZ Vs BMW

Do you guys respect Audi and BMW or do you feel they are inferior cars? Please explain yourself, thanks.
Audi makes a nice product. But, I don't care for the whole new "horse-collar" grille on the newest models
Old 02-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Guest0001

Re: Re: Audi Vs MBZ Vs BMW

Originally posted by Chappy
Audi makes a nice product. But, I don't care for the whole new "horse-collar" grille on the newest models
LOL!

It doesnt look too bad, Im starting to like it. Plus it looks a lot better than the 5 series.

The New A6

Old 02-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Guest0001

Here is the interior. Very nice. Steering wheel has to go though!

Alot of resemblance to bmw. Idrive type gadget i see

Old 02-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Incendiary
Anyway, not a complaint, just an observation.
Oh, I guess I read your post all wrong. Sorry about that.

You are 16? Your profile says you were born in 88.
Yes, I am 16.

It is me or does everyone think Audi is the underdog that in less than a few years will become the company of choice? It's got decent Luxury (still didn't do all that great in the Car And Driver 70k Sedan melee), it's got rising preformance (rs cars) and it's got excellent (okay, this is kind of subjective but even then, nothing is so radical such as Bangles Butts) looks!

Still they are missing something from each.

Luxury - Lexus
Sport - BMW (I'm talking about sedans a la M5)
Middle of those - Mercedes (All those auto AMG's)

I'm not sure if I'm even trying to make a point or anything, just a summed up observation I'm pulling from everyone's comments.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

03 RS6 01 S8
VW ownes Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Seat

Audi ownes quattro Gmbh (Audi's racing division) Lambo and Cosworth racing

therefor VW ownes it all

The motors in the RS6, RS4, new Lambo (V10) and Bentley(W12 twin turbo) are all produced by Cosworth.

The next S6 most likely with have a verson of the Cosworth V10 and the RS6 will either have a Cosworth V10 twin turbo or a W12 twin turbo. At least those the current rumors....so who knows.

Next RS4 will most likely have a Cosworth 3.2 Twin turbo with about 420hp.....there have been rumors of a high reving 4.2 V8 but it would VERY unusual for quattro Gmbh to use a non turbo charged car in a RS...they never have.

As for the new A6....I will have to see it in person but it does look much better with 18 in wheels on it. See this link and toward the bottom of the page is a new A6 with RS6 18's and 19's

http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=new+a6
Old 02-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Guest0001

So M5 is going to have a V10!
So RS6 is going to have a V10!

Damn it! Mercedes needs to up the ante on the E55 now!

I heard something about the E60 AMG? 6.3 litter N/A V8 ? I Dont know. But I love HP wars!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:32 PM

The new A6 may start to grow on me, it actually already started to.

I just feel that Germans own the luxury class vehicles. With outstanding performance too, Lexus and Infinity are still nice Luxury cars.

Last edited by thegentleMAN; 02-27-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:24 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by Bauer
VW ownes Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Seat

Audi ownes quattro Gmbh (Audi's racing division) Lambo and Cosworth racing

therefor VW ownes it all

The motors in the RS6, RS4, new Lambo (V10) and Bentley(W12 twin turbo) are all produced by Cosworth.

The next S6 most likely with have a verson of the Cosworth V10 and the RS6 will either have a Cosworth V10 twin turbo or a W12 twin turbo. At least those the current rumors....so who knows.

Next RS4 will most likely have a Cosworth 3.2 Twin turbo with about 420hp.....there have been rumors of a high reving 4.2 V8 but it would VERY unusual for quattro Gmbh to use a non turbo charged car in a RS...they never have.

As for the new A6....I will have to see it in person but it does look much better with 18 in wheels on it. See this link and toward the bottom of the page is a new A6 with RS6 18's and 19's

http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=new+a6
Doesnt Porsche belong in this equation? Dont Porsche and VW have a partnership or something?

Btw thanks for the post. It cleared alot of stuff.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Almost a Member!

03 RS6 01 S8
Porsche and VW have done some projects together like the Cayenne and the Toureg...they share the same platform and VW wrote into that agreement that they can use the platform for two SUV's. So VW was going to make a Audi SUV...but rumors are Porsche is fighting that because they are making so much money off the Cayenne and don't want another SUV to compete with. Porsche is an independant company from WV...just an FYI.

Also, just heard yesterday that the next RS6 may be a new verson of the V8 twin turbo motor with direct injection and 4 valves instead of the 5 valve head. Appearently can't fit the direct injection in the 5 valve head. The hp between 500 to 550 and about 500 to 520 ft lbs. kind of a little disapointed since I already have a V8 TT and with a chip only upgrade would run about 500 to 520hp and about 500 to 530 ft lbs. They better have some other trick stuff to entice me to upgrade..like magnetic suspension on the Audi Le Mans concept plus a whole lot of other goodies....who knows this could all just be smoke and mirrors to keep the competition guessing.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:12 PM

2014 E350S4
Porsche and VW have done some projects together like the Cayenne and the Toureg...they share the same platform and VW wrote into that agreement that they can use the platform for two SUV's. So VW was going to make a Audi SUV...but rumors are Porsche is fighting that because they are making so much money off the Cayenne and don't want another SUV to compete with. Porsche is an independant company from WV...just an FYI.

Also, just heard yesterday that the next RS6 may be a new verson of the V8 twin turbo motor with direct injection and 4 valves instead of the 5 valve head. Appearently can't fit the direct injection in the 5 valve head. The hp between 500 to 550 and about 500 to 520 ft lbs. kind of a little disapointed since I already have a V8 TT and with a chip only upgrade would run about 500 to 520hp and about 500 to 530 ft lbs. They better have some other trick stuff to entice me to upgrade..like magnetic suspension on the Audi Le Mans concept plus a whole lot of other goodies....who knows this could all just be smoke and mirrors to keep the competition guessing.
Bauer, what Audi forums do you frequent? The only one I really know of is audiworld, which seems to be the most popular. However, I hate the format. Anything else good out there?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Almost a Member!

03 RS6 01 S8
RS6.com....the format is the same as this board and the M5 board....much more user friendly IMO. don't like audiworld format either. RS6.com...has several forums and I fear to say I probably spend a little too much time over there
Old 03-04-2004, 06:10 PM

Do they have A4 forums on it? A4 is the best selling Audi for a reason.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Almost a Member!

03 RS6 01 S8
S4/ RS4 not A4.....sorry
Old 03-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Guest0001

Thanks for the clearing that up. So its only the SUVS that share platform.

So no V10 from the Lambo engine in the RS6? Interesting.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Almost a Member!

03 RS6 01 S8
So no V10 from the Lambo engine in the RS6? Interesting
The rumors change all the time....the comment was that it would be too expensive to put the V10 in the RS6????? They already have the motor...whats so expensive about that. There would be some additional development costs with turbos added but they have the platform. My feeling is that this is a media curve ball so that the others in this segment are kept guessing (MBZ and BMW). Thats way they do not have time to respond to the motor...I think all manufactures do this to try and keep the edge. No need giving all the details to the other side out the gate.

PLEASE GIVE US A V10 twin turbo!!!........or at least me

So its only the SUVS that share platform.
Currently, yes but who knows if anything else is in the works...I know Porsche may develop a 4 door sedan to compete with the likes of E55, RS6 and M5....I don't think VW/Audi would share any technology...doesn't serve their interests.

WV/Audi just inked a deal to do a technology share with Masarati...they are sharing some quattro tech and Audi's aulminum tech for suspension and RWD tech.....who knows what each will do with it?
Old 03-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Guest0001

Bauer you the Audi man! Always cool to get info from other car Euro brands. You have some nice cars listed in your sig. So when you going to purchase an MB
Old 03-25-2004, 09:09 AM

Nothing
1. MBZ
2. AUDI
3. BMW
Old 03-25-2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by AMG FANATIC
1. MBZ
2. AUDI
3. BMW
I agree, I like your way of thinking.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Sure. There all good cars.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
IMO, all three manufacturers are fullfilling in their own ways. I have owned all three and they are all very different. For the MB owners who doubt the new RS6, and S4, too bad. For the C43 owner who says he didn't get spanked by the RS6, well thats a good fish story. The RS6 nearly out performed the E55, the only reason it didn't was E55 is the kompressor, natural aspriation, where the RS6 is turbo-fied. There were a couple of good articles about a year ago that compare the E55, RS6, M5, and Jag X. The RS6 won overall, but the E55 had more off the line as far as sustainability.

Also, earlier in this post, vraa Benz vs Porsche? C'mon, the two cars don't even compare. Porsche can't be compared to any of these three manufacturers.

Lexus and Audi are the only two that should really be compared side by side. MB and BMW are in their own class with each other. Sure Audi and Lexus are trying to play catchup, but Audi=VW, and Lexus=Toyota. Well with that thinking MB(of today)=Chrysler. So I guess we're screwed either way.

I have noticed that in this post, so many people try to make MB this benchmark that all other manufacturers try to follow. But in recent years, I think MB is doing the following. Somewhere on this post someone mentioned the lower class Bimmers, and Audi's the 1's and 2's. But have you been over seas lately. Do you see what MB makes for their Euro counter parts? S&it boxes. Little tiny cars that are "euro-fied". Small, light, diesel, tin cans.

Point being, each Manufacturer is different / similar in every way. It is all a matter of taste and opinion. Frankly, I like the way my 02' CLK430 looks. And man it turns a lot of heads. I do agree that the newer versions of all the Manufacturers listed are really a little displeasing to the eye. IMHO..

:p

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi Vs MBZ Vs BMW