Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Sys Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:08 PM
MVD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E550 w P1, Flint Black
Tire Pressure Monitoring Sys Experience

I am ordering a new E class and am interested in adding the tire pressure monitoring system. However, my sales rep says don't get it because it is really annoying. He explains that it forces you to constantly acknowledge and reset the pressure readings. Is this correct?

I'd really like this option if it was passive in that it allowed me to read the pressures when I wanted to but not hijak the COMAND screen everytime the readings change (because, for example, the tires heated up).

Do those owners with this option like it?

Comments?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:26 PM

2004 SL 500
Hi MVD,

I had a very bad experience with it to begin with. I bought my SL 500 with Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and I also bought different wheels than the ones that came with the car (Mercedes OEM, mind you, an option for my car).

They replaced the wheels and they broke the sensors so after my car was delivered the TPMS was not working.

I brought it back and they replaced the sensors, but in the morning the car kept telling me that the tire pressure was too low and kept asking me to reset it.

Every time I went to the dealer to have the tire pressure checked, they would tell me it was ok. Of course, the tires were not cold as they are in the morning and by the time I got to the dealer the tire pressure was within the normal range. The posted pressure is for COLD tires, but after driving a little bit they begin to warm up and the pressure increases.

I bought one of those portable inflators and with the car in the garage early in the morning inflated the tires to the posted pressure.

I have not had any problems since and I love it. I'm like you, I think it's a great option to have and I would not want to be without it. I guess MB has to really train their dealers and let them know that when a customer comes in to check the tire pressure they should really consider the temperature of the tires and add 1 or 2 more psi. I know they have charts for cold and warm tire pressure, but it's a bit of hit and miss. Regardless, they should have known.

I would say definitely go with the option, it's worth it, but knowing this information will save you many hours of frustration.

I hope this helps in your decision.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So actually, you didnt have a bad experience at all. Yours worked perfectly because it told you that your tires were under inflated which they were and it only stopped telling you that when you inflated your tires or drove long enough to get the pressure up to what it should be...
Old 02-27-2004, 07:42 PM

2004 SL 500
That's correct.

Although I'm sorry to report that this afternoon I was on my way to the dealer to finish some other paperwork and the system reported a failure. Since I was at the dealer, they looked at it and they said that there's a module they have to replace. It's on order and it will come on Tuesday so I'll bring my car in on Wednesday to get it fixed. I just KNOW it will work great then. Besides, all cars in 2005 (I think) or maybe 2006 will have to have this option as standard because it will be the law so why not get a head start anyway?
Old 02-29-2004, 01:33 AM

2002 C230K
no problems here. only time it gave an error was when the tech at the factory was showing us how to use the car, and thats because the tires were all under 30psi. no problems since. and the ride at 38psi is very comfy.