Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

help me pick my first Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda civic
help me pick my first Mercedes

hello gents,

i always dreamed about owning a MB and now i have the money to do it, however, i am on a budget and i wanna make sure i pick the right car.
my only concern is reliability, i hate, and i can't afford to always be at the shop fixing my car, so i wanna know which of the cars i will list is the most reliable.

those 3 cars are the same price here:
-c230 kompressor 2005
-clk320 2004
-e320 2003

what is your pick? i already love all of them and don't prefer one over the other, so i just wanna know which one would be the most reliable.

thanks,
Old 04-23-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 C320
I have a 01 C320 with 126K miles and i love thing hasnt given me a problem yet but i also have only had it about 3 months, I have had other Mercedes in the past and minus one SL and a project car 190E they have all been the most reliable cars i have ever owned.

Again cant really speak for these as i have only had mine 3 months, That being said i have researched C class prices and some E class prices in my area and the two are very similar in asking prices it seems, however the CLK (again this in my area from the listings i have seen) is usually higher by quite a bit in some cases double then C and E class sedans. That would be my pick if they are all same price.

Sounds like you have researched this a little so i assume you know to look for all "books and records" and have it checked out really well by a trusted and experienced MB tech. If they have all that and pass inspection i dont think you can really go wrong with any of them.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E89 Z4
That 4-cylinder with compressor is supposed to be a piece of **** that blows up regularly.

A 2004 CLK320 has a pretty much bulletproof combo of engine and transmission. Weak point might be rust, but overall that is the best vehicle there.

The E class is a bit more upscale, but the CLK offers largely the same car in a simpler and easier to maintain package in general, an that particular year E has the SBC brakes which is a no-go for me. If you don't need back seats often the CLK is a better choice.