Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

rotor removal question - would like advice please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 gl 350
rotor removal question - would like advice please

Hello,

I am in the process of replacing a front bearing in my 2012 GL350, and am not sure about removing the rotor from the wheel hub. I am not sure if the rotor is frozen on, or if I need to remove the large enter nut first.

I cannot find this answer with the search function, and can't find a guide anywhere for this job.

I thought I had found a youtube video that explained the process well, but my vehicle looks different after I removed the wheel. I believe that the bearing went bad because I do not have a dust cap in place. I will need to order one.

My question is once the tore bolt is removed, do I remove the center nut first, or should the rotor come off with the center nut still in place?

Thank you for any help with this.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails rotor removal question - would like advice please-img_20160818_225308350.jpg  
Old 08-19-2016, 05:34 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Just remove the small retaing allen bolt with hexagon key .Its the small one sitting at 6 at the bottom .You then need to tap off the disc .In you picture you still have the caliper on .The disc wont be removable till this caliper is removed also. Is this a rear disc , or front disc . The discs are retained by bolts from the rear .Remove the bolts . Then hang the disc up with string to take pressure off the flexi brake hose. You can then remove the old disc .If this is a rear disc , it may hold the hand brake shoes as well . And may be tight to remove , so all adjustment will need taking off for you to remove it.Some come off with no trouble .
Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 AM

2012 gl 350
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
Just remove the small retaing allen bolt with hexagon key .Its the small one sitting at 6 at the bottom .You then need to tap off the disc .In you picture you still have the caliper on .The disc wont be removable till this caliper is removed also. Is this a rear disc , or front disc . The discs are retained by bolts from the rear .Remove the bolts . Then hang the disc up with string to take pressure off the flexi brake hose. You can then remove the old disc .If this is a rear disc , it may hold the hand brake shoes as well . And may be tight to remove , so all adjustment will need taking off for you to remove it.Some come off with no trouble .

Thank you for the reply!
Last night I had the caliper bracket off and hanging up out of the way, and took the small tore screw off at the 12 o'clock position. At that point I thought the caliper would pull off, put it is not budging even a little. That is why I was thinking that the large nut in the middle was possibly holding it on. I wasn't sure what to do so then I put everything back on except the tire and took that picture.

In all of the videos I have seen, there is an allen key tightened into a nut that holds the wheel hub onto the spindle. I could not see this on my car. I wasn't sure if my vehicle was somehow totally different than all of the others I have seen on youtube.

I will repeat the process from last night and try to use some more force pulling the rotor off.

Thank you for the help.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:12 AM

W124 260E
This is the right way of removing the disc .You then need to remove the large nut in the centre .To get the bearings out of the hub. . Can i ask one more thing? is this car a front wheel drive.If so i dont think you will have the right tools to remove the nut. They are put on there with a lots of pressure ..
The following users liked this post:
andrewjoseph (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 12:30 PM

2012 gl 350
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
This is the right way of removing the disc .You then need to remove the large nut in the centre .To get the bearings out of the hub. . Can i ask one more thing? is this car a front wheel drive.If so i dont think you will have the right tools to remove the nut. They are put on there with a lots of pressure ..

Its AWD.
I was just planning on removing the wheel hub and bringing it to a machine shop along with the new bearing. I didn't realize that there would be that much of a difference. I was thinking that this would be a DIY job, but maybe I am totally wrong. I have replaced hub and bearings before in my truck, and did not think this would be too much different.

Is this different than I am thinking?
Thanks for the help
Old 08-20-2016, 04:10 AM

W124 260E
The answer to that is yes. As it is .AWD you will need to undo the large nut in the centre to remove the hub .Like older cars a steel tube about 5 foot and a good socket to get them to come loose .I would get more information from a member thats done this for sure. Did you Google mercedes Awd hub removal.