Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Beware Mercedes Houston North - Biocides!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2016 | 06:17 PM

2014 GL450
Beware Mercedes Houston North - Biocides!!!

2014 GL 450
Beware of Mercedes of North Houston - Biocides in their automobiles!!! Very upset! If anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know!

These are highlights of what has happened at Mercedes of North Houston, and Mercedes Corporate. This is how we were treated after my family has purchased over five cars from Mercedes in the last several years.

2014 Mercedes GL 450 purchased almost two years ago for $80,000.00.
Since then, ongoing problems with the car include warped rotors, broken strut and shock, air conditioning not working properly, leak in the engine coolant system, and a leak in the engine itself which took six weeks to fix.
Largest problem - Odor being emitted from the car that cannot be fixed. One of service managers, Jason informed me that he traveled to Germany to discuss the problems with the odor in these automobiles. They had two ways to potentially try and reduce the odor, but could not eliminate it. I was told by service management that a Biocide was injected into the air conditioning system to try and reduce engine mold. When the Biocide cures, this odor is emitted (This could take up to a year). ***Note: Biocides can cause asthma and breathing difficulties!!!
An excerpt from EPA:
Also, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not “approve” biocides for mould remediation applications and cautions against using disinfectants and sanitizers in ventilation systems.
About 6-8 months after I purchased the car, I began having breathing difficulties. I saw several physicians including internists, hematologists, oncologists, pulmonologists, etc. I even went to Mayo Clinic (one of the top hospitals in the country). I spent about a year dragging around an Oxygen tank, yet none of the doctors could attribute my breathing difficulty to anything related to my body. Nobody could explain why my Oxygen had dropped to 85%.
Mercedes called us in for a meeting. My husband and I went and met with Pete (sales manager) at Mercedes of North Houston. Not five minutes after we sat down to discuss the situation, he told us that he has 20 sales people on the floor, and doesn’t have time to sit and discuss this with us.
After relaying all the information to Mercedes, and Mercedes Corporate, they told us they would be willing to give us $40,000 as a trade for my automobile, and $9,500 toward the purchase of a new car ($3,000 from corporate, and $6,500 from Mercedes of North Houston). How insulting considering I spent $80,000 on the car, and a tremendous amount of money on medical bills this past year and a half.
These are highlights of what has happened at Mercedes of North Houston, and Mercedes Corporate. This is how we are treated after my family has purchased over five cars from Mercedes in the last several years.
Thank you for reading...
Old 09-04-2016 | 06:31 PM

2018 E300 4Matic, 2006 C180 Kompressor, 2007 S550 AMG Package
Sorry to hear about your situation, unfortunately it is now probably considered a legal matter and you would then have to take out a lawsuit against MBUSA. If you wish to continue with this you should present all evidence such as medical records and proof that you have tried to resolve the problem with Mercedes of North Houston and corporate. Try and get your car looked over by an expert and have them fill out a report stating that Biocides were indeed used.

Speak to a lawyer about what could be done further.

I am surprised that a car that costs $80,000 would be such trouble. My mother had a problem a couple of years ago with Lexus, they had replaced a component in the center console that caught fire, luckily it just melted a small hole in the dash. A lawsuit was filed and the car was bought back and a compensation amount was settled.

I hope you can get this sorted quickly, it is terrible when these dealers try and shrug responsibility for something clearly their fault.
Make sure you get a reasonable amount back for your car, don't allow them to get away with it.

Last edited by w203ck; 09-04-2016 at 06:41 PM.