Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Negotiating on a used AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbd
Negotiating on a used AMG

Apologies if this is the wrong board, but I'm interested to hear from anyone who successfully negotiated pricing on their used or AMG vehicle.

I've been in the market for one and finally found one in near-perfect condition and my desired package options.

It is about 15% more than I want to pay and the same price as another with about half the mileage and not all options.

Given the rarity of AMG vehicles, let alone those that are in near immaculate condition, does anyone have suggestions or anecdotes on their own experiences when purchasing used?

PRO: My budget, insurance and financing are ready.
CON: Car is at a specialty dealership that knows exactly what they have. I am not local.

I appreciate any insightful input.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
I would not buy any used MB without first looking at a quick test of the car
Old 09-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
I bought my '12 C63 used. It's a good point you make about a specialty dealer knowing what they have, but the converse is also true: many (most) in the general public have no idea what an AMG is, and thus won't even bother looking at a C63 (or whatever you're after) when they can get a C250 for 60% of the price. The specialty dealer has to realize that, too, and have some flexibility when it comes to pricing.

My other recommendation is to open up your search radius. Due to the relative rarity of these cars, I'd consider searching the entire country for one that matches your exact specs/price/condition. Not sure if you're in the US, but even in a "big" country like the US, shipping a car is often considerably cheaper than overpaying for one more local. I had my C63 shipped from CO to NH and paid about $850.