Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Uneducated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2017 | 09:44 PM

Saab95aero
Uneducated

Hello. Thinking again, ( ADD ) where can I learn more about all different names and configurations. Example, 2007-2010 RWD MBs. I have so many questions and at the risk of being annoying it would sure be nice to "study at home". I grew up with small block chevys 200-400 hp 10+- mpg switched to Saab's 4cyl.turbo 175-300 hp 30+ mpg. Kinda looking for a smooth mix. MJ50 had a great idea, 2005 E320, I didn't even know there was a E320 but like rwd as not planning to drive in snow etc. looking to spend $10-16k but don't want to spend more time on repairs than mods. Am I making sense?, or just babbling again. I know MB has something for me. Thanks
Old 05-11-2017 | 09:53 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
Thank you being honest-----your best bet is to use Google and spend a month or two searching all the individual topics you are curious about and or go to work at an MB and depending on your education find a fit!!
Old 05-14-2017 | 01:05 PM

2012 C250 coupe 2007 ML 350
I will do my best to get you up to speed. Fall in love with a particular model or body style and learn the platform bynames or model codes first. All of the beautifully designed Mercedes-Benz automobiles have model platform codes. For example, the first generation of the Mercedes-Benz SLK is known as the "R170." Eventually the automaker retooled the factory and redesigned the second generation SLK. The succeeding SLK was coined "R171."

The SL models from the early seventies to the late eighties are known as "R107." As the nineties rolled around the iconic SL was reformed into the "R129." You will come to learn the platform numbers (usually) follow a particular order, but this is not always the case. Case in point, the SL platform proceeded as the "R230" from the "R129" designation. However, it is safe to say that all "R" platform cars can be described as roadsters. With that being said, "R-Class" vehicles are dissimilar from the "R230" and "R231." The former "Class" of vehicles are tagged "W251."

The last examples I will offer will be the C-Class and antique SLC. The C-Class began as a "W202" in the early nineties. The sleek and classy C-Class continues today with the "W205." As you may expect the "W203" and "W204" lie in-between the "W202" and "W205." Despite of the fact the grey-haired SLC is recognized as the "C107," the (SL type) coupe shares a host of parts with the "R107."

As previously stated, the beautiful cars (Sport utility vehicles included) are associated with model platform codes. Aside from the aforementioned system of characters and digits, I would learn the engine variants. If you are inquisitive or purchase the brand, you will be competent and learn engine family numbers in due time. Additionally, do not forget the "S," "C," ,"G" and so forth are intended to covey certain attributes.

Last edited by soldr230; 05-15-2017 at 10:26 PM.