Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

W211 Sulfur (Rotten egg) smell - Not the Catalyst !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 - E200 - 2009
W211 Sulfur (Rotten egg) smell - Not the Catalyst !

Hello Guys,

I purchased 2009 w211 Kompressor 2 months ago (with only 67000 KM since it was with an old man) and I have a big trouble in my car

The problem is the rotten egg (sulfur) smell while driving and of course after I press the kick down once or after hard acceleration for just 3-4 second then I start to smell this !!

I've read most of the topics on this forum regarding the smell :read:, some people say that it's the catalyst converter, and others say it's a usual thing !!

I know that the catalyst will emit a smell like this but in my case it's too too too much people !!! .

I took my car to the official MB dealer yesterday and they also said everything is fine and the catalyst is not clogged and there are no problems at all !!!

But I've tried to drive more than 3 cars like my car, there is no bad smell like mine, so it's not a usual thing !

Also my fuel consumption is 13.9L/100KM calculated over around 3000KM which I think is too high !!

Here is what I've did till now:
- checked the whole exhaust system and everything is fine (checked by MB dealer).
- checked the spark plugs and they where recently changed OEM.
- I thought that the AUX battery under the AC filter is damaged and getting overcharged, but then I discovered that MB has removed the AUX battery after 2006 hahaha!! .
- Checked the main battery and it was recently changed.
- Changed AC filter, Air filter.
- The MB dealer checked the programming for everything to be at correct values.
- Did a cleaning process for the fuel injectors.
- Did a cleaning process for the catalyst system using (Liqui Moly catalytic system cleaner).
- My mechanic also disassembled my exhaust and checked the exhaust manifold and the catalyst converter and they where in a very very clean condition.

What can I do with this bad smell guys.
your help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by mohammad-arar; 07-09-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Writing error