Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Nano Paint Question

Old 04-21-2004, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
Question Nano Paint Question

I went to Beverly Coachcraft with my buddy today to drop off his '04 E55K as it was keyed over the weekend and I got the feeling from the guy running the place that he didn't know what nano-paint was. Do body shops know what nano-paint is? What proceedures are different from regular paint in the preparation/application processes that they "should" know about?

More importantly to me, can my w126 be resprayed with nano-paint when the time comes, or does MB treat the body differently to bond with nano-paint molecules? I am hoping that if I have a bare metal respray I can have it nano'd...

Thanks for answering my Q's.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK 55
The trick is the clear coat.

I can't answer a lot of your questions but I do know that the nano technology is in the clearcoat and not the paint.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Correct. The nano technology is indeed in the clearcoat. The nano clearcoat has tiny particles of ceramic that when backed under 400+F lamps liquefies and bakes/bonds itself with the clearcoat.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
Thanks awiner.

I saw that someone asked the same question on amg-owners-club. I see that it's a matter of using one of the approved clearcoats, removing all trim from the affected panel, and baking the clearcoat on.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Most professional detailers are aware of this type CC finish;

Scratch Resistant Clear Coat:
Mercedes-Benz has developed an innovative new clear lacquer paint technology; this nano-particle clear coat incorporates microscopic ceramic particles in a clear urethane lacquer. The clear coat is factory applied and then ‘baked’ in a high-temperature drying oven forming a hard scratch and fade resistant finish. This paintwork system significantly improves surface gloss over conventional clear coats.

It is also provides better protection from the necessary automatic car-washing, and concentrated detergents used, as it's illegal to wash your vehicle and allow water to flow to a storm-drain in Germany due to environmental regulations.

Paint film surface maintenance is the same as for other systems, removing surface defects entails limited and controlled clear coat removal.

On soft paint finishes like water-based paint with a clear coat or a single stage paint it’s simplified because they are easier to abrade. You need to remove the paint surrounding the scratch to blend it in with the immediate areas, which means you must remove hard paint without causing further damage or introducing more surface scratches.