Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Plastic Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1999 CLK 320 W208
Plastic Repair

I'm new to this site, but thought since I was doing a repair that I couldn't find reference to that I would share something that doesn't cost much and is easy to do.

I had taken the back seat out of my CLK320 and noticed that the Bose subwoofer plastic case kept flopping forwards. I looked closer and saw that the two top screws weren't even attached to the plastic cover. I pulled the bottom two screws out and found that there were major cracks in the subwoofer cover / housing.

Here's a photo of it repaired

Here's what I used

The technique is to first spot weld sections that may have cracked off back to where they belong. Then run the hot solder iron over the cracked area and create a V groove. Do maybe 1/2 inch and then roll the edges back over the grove. Then, repeat the process on the other side if accessible. My repair required removal of the subwoofer speaker. It's not that pretty, but it has lots of applications where JB weld or epoxy doesn't work.