Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

amg factory visit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question amg factory visit

On saturday we are going on holiday to Germany. On our way we drive almost through Stuttgart and Affalterbach, the city where the amg-factory is based. (NOT to Bremen)

Can anyone give me information about the possibilities to visit the showroom or/and the factory. I don't drive a mercedes yet and I don't have contacts with a mercedes-dealer either but it would be really fantastic to look around into the factory.

Has anyone experience with a tour or does anyone know more about this? I would like to hear some comments

Last edited by flying_dutchman; 04-27-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
AMG factory visit

Mr flying_dutchman:

Every time I am going to visit the AMG plant in Affalterbach, Germany, I set up an appointment first.

My best contact is:
MERCEDES-BENZ Automibil AG
Walter Hagenbuch
Zurcherstrasse 109
8952 Schlieren Switzerland
Email: walter.hagenbuch@merbag.ch

Country code: 41
Ph 01-732-5340
Ph 01-732-5288
Fax 01-732-5156

The city codes have changed... so you will have to figure that out...

If you do call him.. please ask him about the pictures I sent him about my car... he never responded... and should you get in hold of him... tell him I will be there in Zurich shortly and I intend to stop this time in Schlieren (last time I didn't have time to go )

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 04-29-2004, 01:33 PM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
Funny you know Walter Hagenbuch haha.. I used to work in the building opposite of the Mercedes Benz Automobil AG in Schlieren. Gladly DaimlerChrysler Switzerland has finally got it's own fortress.

Tell you, it's a major pain in the @ss to find Affalterbach w/o a GPS. Looking into the showroom shouldnt be a problem. But there are only about 3 vehicles (last time I was there, it had a CL 65 AMG, the SL55 AMG Safety Car and an S-Class which was made for the sultan of Brunai. You better get an appointment if you want to look into the production halls. Keep on eye on the parking lots, there are always 'concept cars' crusing around..
Old 04-29-2004, 03:20 PM

Thank you guys for yours answers!

I don't know we have time for a real visit and therefor I don't want to make an appointment actually. We come near affalterbach if on our way to our vacation bungalow which is in the southern part of Germany. So it is not near our bungalow.

I was just curious if we could visit the factory if we have some free time left on our way. We have to drive 40 miles further or so to get there and it is a waste of time and energy to do that and than come to the conclusion that you have to climb a very big fence just to see a few cars.

But we'll see. If we have some time left maybe we'll go and I'll post my experciences and maybe some pics here! It would be really great.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Mercedes Benz of Schlieren, Switzerland

Mr MadC32!:

Is good to hear from people out there!!... wow!... I spend a lot of time trying to contact someone over there... next to the Mercedes Benz buildings in Schlieren, there is that sorta grocery store/mall building... I don't know the name anymore... well... inside that building is where I almost bought one of those little "pill" smart cars last year... haha... the price isn't bad for US standards... it was actually quite good... my problem was that I could not bring the car and drive it on the regular roads in California (USA)... .

If you are still in any way able to stop by at the Mercedes Benz in Schlieren and see Walter Hagenbuch on my behalf.. I was there with my wife I think on March 2003... what a terrible weather!!!... and I am actually from Vienn, Austria myself!!!... I just happen to live in the USA almost all of my life... lol... still the weather gets me every time I go there... what a terrible thing!!!... ewwwww... lol.

If you could please say hi to me to Walter... he was very kind and helpful when I was there last year... I sent him pictures of my C32 that I brought to the US... however he never responded to the email pictures nor the hard copy ones I sent him... it is possible they may have never got to his desk at all... (I found that some of the pictures I mailed even in the US for some reason never got to their destinations either... ).. if Walter would confirm to you if he got them I would appreciate it.

Also, in the mall next to the M Benz buildings in Schlieren, if the Smart car still has its little "shop/showroom" there (yeah people.. for those US readers of this posting.. the smart car is that small that the Smart company has little "showrooms" inside malls!!... imagine like walking into a record store or deli in the US... and instead they have right there 2 or 3 cars for you to look at!..lol), if you could please stop by there and on my behalf say "hi" to Patricia Ingold who was the sales person for Smart that took the time to do all the paperwork for me on that little pill car... Patricia left her position shortly I left but I know she is often in touch with them... if you could find out if she got married???? she told me she was planning on getting married last year... if she did, do please give her my congrats! on the wedding... tell her that she and her husband are always welcome at the "Wiedermann castle" --is not a castle of course, but that is what we call our home in Thousand Oaks, California... it just happens in the town we live homes are built with a lot of space )... so if she and her husband have any plans to come to California we should get in touch, and actually, it would be nice if I could get in touch with Patricia, so please give her my email address: Wiedermann@aol.com and if you can get me her information, email, etc, I would appreciate it.

Affalterbach in Germany is hard to find... even harder for me that I am used to a LOT of postings and so on... I went there with my family, however, my parent who permanently live in Europe are the ones who told me how to get there... they know all the roads there (that is all they do... travel and go places.. apparently that is what you do when you are "retired"...lol).

If you do get to the plant... as you said.. they have a few cars to demo... normally the SL65 is what they have now.. and that is "all I need" to test drive their cars... lol... and you are correct about the concept models... they always have some weird things on the testing grounds... last time I was there, I test drove the hydrogen vehicles that originally BMW had started the research and now that there is a possibility that MBW may have been purchased by the General Motors giant... many things have been passed to other brands... ... those fuel cell cars are amazing and those that use hydrogen are truly remarkable as well...

Let me know if you get the chance to go there..

Cheers!

Wiedermann