Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Negotiating pre-owned deal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Negotiating pre-owned deal

With negotiations, would you start by discussing the items you need resolved in order to proceed with the purchase, or would you start with negotiating the price?

To me, right off the bat, the cracked fender, deep scratches, door sill, and cigarette lighter need to be repaired/addressed. I don't really care what price it is, getting those things have the potential to cost me a lot more than it will cost the dealer, and a ridiculous inconvenience for an newly acquired and expensive pre-owned car.

My thoughts are: 1. Start with cosmetic concerns on exterior and interior, 2. Negotiate tentative price, and 3. Re-negotiate if necessary based upon inspection findings. Is that a good plan, or should 2. come before 1.?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1969 Mini Cooper
Start by pointing out the flaws you need fixed. Dealers absolutely hate having to fix things.They will do almost anything to move a car and not have to fix it. If you are not going to accept a lower price to fix the car, use that to move the negotiation to another car.