Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Competition to Mercedes Benz...1000 Horsepower coming by GM...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Competition to Mercedes Benz...1000 Horsepower coming by GM...

This newest engine, officially the GM XV16, is rated at 1000 hp, far superior in output to any now in production todate.

Essentially, it is eight overhead-valve V-twins tied together, but it uses a single casting for the block. For two years in a row, Cadillac has unveiled oversize engines in concept cars.

Though I've heard and now I am reading from various sources "Don't be surprised if GM is serious about putting a 7.5-liter V12 or even a V16 on the road...", "Indications are that massive engines are planned for future cars" which is "no news" these days .

If the project gets a green light, the 13.6-liter V16 could power a superluxury Cadillac sedan aimed at such competitors as Rolls-Royce and Maybach.... 2005-2006 Cadillac V16 ... desicion has not been announced as of yet from Detroit... hmmmm

Some "smaller" beast are coming out of the GM brands... 400 hp CTS-V by Cadillac, the new Corvette with similar power... hmmm...

Any thoughts?

Wiedermann
Old 05-18-2004, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IMO, they need to find ways to make high HP engines without massively increasing capacity. 13.5L is just too much
Old 05-18-2004, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Jon, EXACTLY. That is the problem with American car manufacturers. Just throw more HP at the problem.

Look at porsche, same engine for 40 years, ever so slightly increasing the litre size, by tenths, but increasing the output dramatically. The new 3.8 alone will put out 355hp in the C2S. That combined with weight and aero, will make that car a competitor for any sports car.

IMHO, it seems car manufacturers would rather wow people with big HP numbers instead of increasing technology and making something better, more effective.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
I believe this is just a gimmick for Cadillac to really step it up HP wise. They have always been the American Powerhouse when it came to the 32V V8 engines, which were decent.

The new 16 cylinder engine?...?! Turning the key, and 2 gallons of gas have gone in smoke. In my opinion, this is just a project that Cadillac wants to be recognized in; being one of the first car-makers to have a 16 cylinder engine. Just the thought of a 16 cylinder engine is crazy enough.

I have nothing against it, or nothing for it, I just don't see it going anywhere at all.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Hot to "fix" the problem... throwing MORE problem... :)

Originally posted by ldangeli
Jon, EXACTLY. That is the problem with American car manufacturers. Just throw more HP at the problem.

Look at porsche, same engine for 40 years, ever so slightly increasing the litre size, by tenths, but increasing the output dramatically. The new 3.8 alone will put out 355hp in the C2S. That combined with weight and aero, will make that car a competitor for any sports car.

IMHO, it seems car manufacturers would rather wow people with big HP numbers instead of increasing technology and making something better, more effective.

Just my two cents.
Mr. ldangeli:

I have to agree with you 100%. No question about it. All my life my family has always had M Benz, BMW for my mother and I was young and MORE stupid (high school, pre-college years) I had Porsches.. whelp???... like my father says.. German is all pure technology and engineering... and my hat goes of to Ferdinand Porsche, original and main engineer of the VW beetle for those who didn't know... ...

Though I had plenty problems with my small Porsches, as originally Porsches where nothing but beefed up VWs (as AMGs are today for M Benzes); and they didn't "offer" the "comfort" and "luxury" they offer today... back then they were colder, metal dashboards and so on, and I had my share of problems... (for once, this is early 80s with a brand new one which kept going for almost 2 years back and forward to the dealer because the car would just "die"... 2 years later it turned out to be a "rusted" cable that would leave the car "locked" in gear (automatic transmission) there for the car would not start at all... long, long story)...

On the other end... as soon as I got my license, I switched to US made cars.. Camaros, Corvettes, huge cars... and whelp???.. like you said... huge motors and always that seemed to be the answer from US manufacturers.. MORE power...

I have switched back to German made cars, and back at home (Austria) my family only uses M Benz, BMW (for mother), however, I still keep a few US made (I am "an equal opportunity consumer" ) vehicles... I do have to still praise and congratulate US manufacturers for their abundance in Luxury, comfort and space... huge cars like the ones I have, Lincoln Navigator: great cupholders (I whish Germany for once thought and engineered a cupholder that actually works for US "supersize" cups!...lol), Cadillac DeVille --3 of them... oouch, all identical, just different color, one red, one white, one blue -- ... huge boat.. great cruiser and just beware if I am driving my Cadillac, cause if you suddenly break in front of me, I will squash you like a bug with the Queen Mary size Cadillac... not because I am a bad person... but because the Cadillac simply doesn't stop, like ANY of my German made cars do!!... LOL

GM didn't announce their new super best engine "just because"... son they will have those cars coming with those huge engines... oh well.. what can I say.. I love my toys!!! --cars that is--.. unfortunate that they are sooo expensive!!!... (well that is from my point of view... cause I have to work hard to buy my toys LOL... so if any of you have money to throw away... I can give you my ABA bank code so that you can "throw" your money away there!

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 05-18-2004, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Wiederman, you're right. I see ups and downs to both AMER's and GERM's.

Good luck with the caddy's, lord knows I don't like 'em, but hey too each's own.. right?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Huge boats...

Wiederman, you're right. I see ups and downs to both AMER's and GERM's.

Good luck with the caddy's, lord knows I don't like 'em, but hey too each's own.. right?
Mr ldangeli:
I don't like Cadillacs myself... I inherited them from my father in law... he passed away and all the sudden I had to "add" 3 more cars my set... ... and the guy was even more excessive that I am... anything he liked he bought in excess... 3 Devilles at once... thankfully, I was able to "spread" the love of DeVille, so I have one on the east coast so when we go there we have a car... and sold one to a friend of mind in need (he killed his car )

Cheers!!

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 05-18-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
That sounds like exactly what we need during a gas crisis.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Gas crisis & Powerful engines...

Originally posted by mbtech208
That sounds like exactly what we need during a gas crisis.
Mr mbtech208:
Gas crisis & Powerful engines don't make for a good mix huh???

Wiedermann
Old 05-19-2004, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by dinko
In my opinion, this is just a project that Cadillac wants to be recognized in; being one of the first car-makers to have a 16 cylinder engine.
They were already the first with a V16 engine...........in 1930.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
V16 engines since 1930???

Originally posted by mbtech208
They were already the first with a V16 engine...........in 1930.
Mr mbtech208:
You are correct!!.. those engines came first wayy back then... and now they are making a come back... crisis or no crisis the demand from the "consumer" market is actually the reason why the announcement was made...

Wiedermann
Old 05-19-2004, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Gas crisis. Please, this is no crisis. This is a way of keeping our income tax down. Personally I would rather pay a flat tax on everything than pay income tax. You're probably too young to remember a real gas crisis..

Police interceptor? Its a dodge.. Not to put your car down, but you're on a MBZ forum, with a dodge signature. I don't get it. And you talk about "just what we need during a gas crisis", well with that "interceptor" I am sure it is doing it's part to get the best possible mileage per gallon.... HA! NOT! What do you get mileage wise, 8-9 per gallon?

Old 05-19-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Gas crisis. Please, this is no crisis. This is a way of keeping our income tax down. Personally I would rather pay a flat tax on everything than pay income tax. You're probably too young to remember a real gas crisis..

Police interceptor? Its a dodge.. Not to put your car down, but you're on a MBZ forum, with a dodge signature. I don't get it. And you talk about "just what we need during a gas crisis", well with that "interceptor" I am sure it is doing it's part to get the best possible mileage per gallon.... HA! NOT! What do you get mileage wise, 8-9 per gallon?

Excuse me? Who do you think you are?

I'm actually getting close to 30 mpg, but thanks for your concern.

Last edited by mbtech208; 05-19-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Easy, don't get you jumbo panties in a wad. HAHA, relax bro, it's alright, they'll make more..

Seriously though, why would you post pics of your DODGE on the MB Forum?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Dodge?

Easy, don't get you jumbo panties in a wad. HAHA, relax bro, it's alright, they'll make more..

Mr. ldangeli:

Let the poor man post his little Dodge... hehe

C32 Pics
Front View:

Rear View:

A couple of other views

Front driver's side view:

Front pasenger's side view:

Wiedermann
Old 05-19-2004, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Wiedermann, beautifully done. Really nice.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
mbtech's car has a V6...so its still efficient.

hey mbtech, I always wanted to ask you what kinda go fast parts you have on your car?? How do the cops feel about your pseudo cruiser?

Sorry Mario for hijacking your thread!!
Old 05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Hijacking the thread.. :)

Mr mbtech:

By all means, don't take my comments in any wrong way... I am just meesing with ya.. . That car picture you have looks rather intercepting... (I've seen police Camaros on the freeways in California (that is the latest body style, now also discontinued by GM...), I would imagine those Dodges must've been all souped up!.. any stats on what your car has in mods? (ie. powerwise, etc)
Originally posted by schwarzwagen
Sorry Mario for hijacking your thread!!
Mr schwarzwagen (aka Jon)!:
No problem; by all means, highjack away... ...

Good to see you are alive and posting away on the boards!...

Wiedermann, beautifully done. Really nice.
Mr ldangeli:

Your comments are well appreciated.

I guess we will have to invite Mr. ldangeli for ice cream or something to make up for being mean to him ...

Wiedermann
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
since we are on the subject of hijacking, LOL

How was your lunch with Eric? After he had lunch with you he came to Malibu and we got together for a little canyon run and well.... we saw edmunds.com doing a photo shoot of the new 645CiC and some punks in an S4 and an M3. Need I say that the S4 driver nor the M3 driver could keep up with Eric in the E500. Such a fun afternoon.

Oh ya, and the E500 is pretty much door to door with the non-supercharged SVT Cobra. The Mustang got a fender by 65 when we shut it down.

Our Karma definitely took a beating today...

Last edited by schwarzwagen; 05-20-2004 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Toys and MORE toys

Mr. schwarzwagen:
Originally posted by schwarzwagen
since we are on the subject of hijacking, LOL

How was your lunch with Eric? After he had lunch with you he came to Malibu and we got together for a little canyon run and well.... we saw edmunds.com doing a photo shoot of the new 645CiC and some punks in an S4 and an M3. Need I say that the S4 driver nor the M3 driver could keep up with Eric in the E500. Such a fun afternoon.

Oh ya, and the E500 is pretty much door to door with the non-supercharged SVT Cobra. The Mustang got a fender by 65 when we shut it down.

Our Karma definitely took a beating today...
Well, well, well!!... you tell me what Mr CynCarvin32 (Eric) had to say about the lunch.. I think the one thing in common is that we didn't have enough time to talk about all the toys (cars) there are out there that we like... and that is the problem... too many toys out there and sooo little time and money!!... haaha...

CynCarvin32 (Eric) keeps telling me to go on the Canyon roads toward Malibu... I've done it quite a few times myself and on those roads is where you ge tthe chance to push the car and see what it can do...

Mr awiner.. oh yeah.. mr super MbWorld.org forum moderator awiner! (aka Adam!) wants to get together and do the same Canyon roads and finished it with a nice photo shoot of the cars at the end... we just have to agree on the time and date now!!...

Cheers!

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 05-20-2004 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

God where do I begin.

First, take a look at this user name and then look at the moderator list for the MB Tech forum.

Second, look at his post count and when he became a member.

mbtech208 is one of the most valued members on this board. Of course he is free to post the car that he drives. We actually had a great discussion about the car in the off-topic forum when he got it a while back. Please get the facts before you come off looking like a snobby MB owner.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
It's obvious some of you gentlemen don't understand mbtech208's role here. As his moniker implies, Dave is a certified and very experienced MB technician. He knows the inner workings of your cars better than you will ever hope to know. He has shared lots of this expertise since the beginning of this site three years ago. And in many cases, Dave is our principle source of service bulletin information and other stuff we would never divine on our own.

So, bottom line... Don't **** him off, or we all suffer...

As for his Dodge Intercepter... Well, as a Daimler/Chrysler product it's all in the family now, whether we like it or not. And besides, you should have seen his previous ride... (hehe, couldn't resist, bud!)
Old 05-20-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Please kiss my ***. It was my opinion. Relax chief. Really, snobby MB owner? I don't even know how to respond to that. Maybe you should talk to yourself about getting the facts. Don't be such a whinny little girl. Man, this is what I am talking about with this forum, you make one stupid freaking comment about something and every little 14 year old hops on the forum flaming you because their opinion doesn't match yours. THIS IS A MB FORUM, MODERATOR, SUPER CHIEF, A$$ CLOWN OR NOT, I PERSONALLY DON'T WANT TO SEE A DODGE POS.

Oh and if their are such technical people on this forum, how come everytime someone posts a technical question, they get a stoner, burnt out reply about beating someone in a race?? I haven't seen one technically savvy answer on this forum yet.

Last edited by ldangeli; 05-20-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Well, I assume we're all having a bad day, so I'm going to shut this thread down and we can start another on a more civil tone.