Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Transmission and Fuel Tank Concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
Transmission and Fuel Tank Concerns

My c240 is a great car on the highways; however, on local roads I feel that the engine has to make an extra effort to accelerate or just to get about (compared to my pre-owned Japanese car). I just feel that the car is groggy. I am not sure if it is the engine size or a transmission issue.

I took the car over to the dealer and mentioned the problem. They took it for a test drive and basically told me it was German engineering and this is wahat I should expect.

On another note: I've noticed that I get barely 50 miles to a 1/4 tank of gas. I am not sure if it is guage problem or a guzzle issue.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Other than the above 2 issues - I think it is just a beautiful car!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 12:28 PM

2001 CLK320
How many miles on your car?

until you get a few thousand miles racked up, things inside the engine are tight (greater friction) until things wear in a little.

Once it breaks in, the milage and power (and responsiveness) should improve over time...I noticed increasing amounts from about 3,000 miles (just about to hit 9k now).

But then again, I never noticed anything lacking - its just that now it seems like the power comes on effortlessly - give the gas a nudge and it moves, I've found the 3.2 V6 very satisfying (and 21 - 32 mpg too)
Old 04-15-2002, 12:32 PM

C240
Thanks for your response

My car is a year old and has 4000 miles only. As suggested, I will break it in more and hopefully will notice a difference.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
mileage is getting better with age

I was getting about 17mpg for the first 2000 miles and recently I noticed its up to about 21 mpg combined city and highway. I look forward to a long trip to see what I can squeeze out of a tank. Definate change at about 3k though.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Also, make sure your W/S button is in the S mode. The W mode is for winter driving and starts out in second gear to lessen wheel spin on snow or ice. My C320 averages 27.5 mpg average between city and freeway. Only 25 mpg when I cruise it at 85 going to Phoenix :-)