Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Fire Opal Red micro bubbles suddenly appear in car I just purchased

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C-350 1993 SAAB 900S
Fire Opal Red micro bubbles suddenly appear in car I just purchased

We purchased a beautiful Fire Opal Red (Paint code 500U) C-350 coupe on May 4, 2018. It had 20,500 miles on it at the time we took delivery from the MB dealer who had leased to the first, and only, owner since he took delivery on December 10, 2014. The car was detailed at the MB dealer prior to our delivery and we carefully inspected every little bit of the body work and wheels.

Six ( 6 !) days later, while washing the car I noticed a few small pin head micro-bubbles on the front of the bonnet/hood but found no others anywhere on the car. Five days later every horizontal surface and many of the upper vertical surfaces are covered with thousands of tiny pin head sized pits or bubbles. Additionally, there are now several larger spots where the clear coat and red pigment have vanished and a cream colored undercoat is visible. Two custom paint shops near me examined the car and said they thought the paint material under the clear coat was “bubbling” or vaporizing to create small bubbles and/or pits. Both shops said all paint would have to be stripped off the car and then reapplied.

I have now read hundreds of threads about this problem and am well aware of TSB 98.00-P-058914 (July 24, 2017).

I called the MB dealer who originally leased the car and their service adviser denied any knowledge of paint problems with Mercedes Red. I gave him the TSB number and he again denied any knowledge of that TSB or the problem.

I then called Mercedes Benz North America and talked to a Customer Care representative who said "we are not aware of any general problem with red paint or the symptoms you describe." I then gave her the TSB number and she denied any knowledge of that Bulletin. She then told me that any Technical Service Bulletin issue must be dealt with at the dealer level because MBNA does not handle complaints about or problems with dealer service.

The car was originally sold on December 10, 2014. Is my understanding of the MB warranty that I, as the 2nd owner, would be able to have warranty work done by Mercedes thru December 9, 2018 (4-years from original purchase date or 50,000 miles) CORRECT?

If the local dealer refuses to warranty the paint and MBNA says there is no paint issue - what do I do next?

I tried to file an insurance claim at the local insurance adjusters office (one of the largest US national auto insurance companies). The adjuster was very nice, considerate, and helpful BUT he said "this is a known Mercedes paint problem and there is no possibility that we will provide comprehensive coverage for the paint damage, which is obviously a manufacturer's defect." The adjuster told me had been a custom auto body guy for a decade prior to becoming an insurance adjuster. He explained the details of how and why the micro-bubbles occur and said there is NO remedy other than taking the paint down to the primer, and better the bare metal and then repainting the whole car.

Any suggestions about how to approach the local Mercedes Service Department and how to press my warranty claim?