Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Another Warranty Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 4Matic
Talking Another Warranty Thread

This is for all the folks out there who have a late model Mercedes but no warranty coverage...

Once you're over 60k in mileage, it's pretty tough to find a company that will offer good coverage for our vehicles. I have a 99clk320 with approx 62k and none of the companies, including WarrantyDirect, 1Source, AccelWarranty, etc... will go near that thing.

The only one that i've heard good reviews on who will provide a comprehensive bumper to bumper (wear and tear they also call it) is Heritage. They're expensive as heck though, 4yr 48k coverage is approx $5000!

I've heard mixed reviews about them. Some claim that they're great since they're also the company backing many other warranty companies out there. However, there are some on this board and on Mercedesshop.com who say stay away, but don't say why.

Anyone have further info on Heritage or any other company that would cover high mileage cars?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
The thing with any of these companies is that..well...I guess there are several things:

1) How shaky is their financial position? Is a company like Heritage going to be in business 4 years from now? next year? next month? Nobody knows.

2) Assuming they are solvent, what happens when you go to make a claim? Do they pay without issue? Do they try to stick to "prevailing" rates...like dental insurance..."well sir, you owe your dentist $1200 for that root canal but we only pay $700 for that...not counting the 20% deductable"? Or do they flat out deny your claim because a leaky head gasket is "normal wear and tear"?

3) what is the published list of exclusions? Some of these policies boil down to coverage of just the left side of the engine block turning into creme brule due to solar radiation...when you really look into it.

4) Do they even answer the phone at all when you call their claim number? (A true story)
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Extended warranty...

Mr. RBrenton88:
Very well said sir!. Just like you said, when I research for any warranty program..normally that happens while still in research for the car itself and by the time I purchase the vehicle, I have already selected what program/coverage and company I will use. There are several factors and those you mentioned are right on the top of my list to check.. (normally, I will actually call the "claim 800 number" as I am paying for the program... if there is "no answer" or any problem, then normally that is a bad sign and in many cases I end up not purchasing it at all).

Mr. 99clk320:
Seems you didn't get a coverage program when you first purchased the car, and/or you had one and it expired or you run out of the mileage limit. In any case, unless you absolutely want to hold on to the car you have, if you don't have coverage, best is sell the vehicle and get another one, new or used but with a coverage warranty. When things break, especially on Mercedes Benz, things can be pretty pricey... I was on the dealership today (05-28-2004) dropping off my car for normal service, I overheard the service advisor on the phone with another customer as he was writing my paperwork mentioning that some "minor" work that had to be done on the person he was talking on the phone was $400.00 to $500.00 on labor + parts and that was a "conservative" estimate... .

Wiedermann