Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

First car - desperate for a Benz!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
First car - desperate for a Benz!

Hey folks

Looking seriously at the used market (specifically SLK or C-class from 2006-2011). I know nothing about cars although I am very much willing to learn the basics of keeping my potential Merc in good condition - I'm like that with everything I own. I'm just reading so much about how one needs a lot of cash just to own a Merc with all the parts expenses, servicing etc etc. I want to buy something that won't need anything done, or at least will only need whatever the "normal" amount is!

I have an extremely wealthy friend who swears by Mercs and their reliability (actually, make that 2!). They both advise finding a good local garage and always using them rather than a Merc dealer for servicing/parts/repairs. Good advice?

I'd really like to know if it is possible for me to get a reliable SLK or C-class, and which years specifically I should look at. If not, please tell me the absolute best models and years I should be looking at in terms of reliability. I won't rush this at all - I plan on really taking my time and looking until I find something which really catches my eye and ticks my boxes and then the plan is to take a mechanic to inspect it when I go to see it. I assume I should obtain full service records as well as the standard carmax report?

I'd really appreciate the experience, opinions and concerns of you guys. This seems like a great forum and I can't wait to learn.

Thanks a million in advance!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I truly hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but you asked for advice, so here's mine. IMO, a Mercedes-Benz is not a good choice for someone buying their very first car, who admittedly "knows nothing about cars", unless you have unlimited financial resources (which I'm guessing you don't, because you're shopping for cars in the 10-year-old range). These are complex vehicles, which can be very challenging to troubleshoot and extremely expensive to repair. Regular maintenance alone is significantly more costly than for other, even similar, brands (e.g., an oil change for my previous six-cylinder BMW was about $80; for my current six-cylinder MB, it's about $280). There was a time when MB built very reliable cars (particularly the diesel models produced from the 70s to mid 80s), but that sort of reliability in the current luxury brand market is almost exclusively the domain of Lexus. A Mercedes-Benz that's out of warranty, as all models you're considering will be, can quickly turn into a money pit.

Last edited by Mr. Toad; 10-01-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Mr. Toad's comments are well-founded.
"Most" who purchase these older MB vehicles will probably have their own DIY skills along with the (basic) tools and equipment (most likely more than just the basic tools...) to check and maintain these themselves.
I've read many posts of new members either inheriting or purchasing an older MB, only to discover after, more than they can chew. Doesn't make for a happy experience when they spend more time trouble shooting than enjoying their ride.
HOWEVER, not to discourage you, IF you do decide to take the plunge to get more involved, there are many members here that can assist so long as YOU ALSO put in the effort to read and research many of the other members experiences, how-tos /DIYs threads on this forum. The KEY here is Search, Read, Learn and DO if you really wish to know your Benz. If you have $$$ to throw at it, all the power to you.
Personally, not a fan of the later model MB (years you refer too in your post) - driven many and just too much in electronics and diagnostics involved where DIY is more involved so finding a reputable, cost-worthy shop is paramount. These are a needle in a haystack in some locations.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Good luck man