Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

'77 300D only starts up when block heater plugged in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'77 300D only starts up when block heater plugged in?

Hello,

I'm having a rather unusual problem I need help with, please. This problem seems to have worsened over the last few months. I don't drive much, but you see, I recently inherited a '77 300D and it's nice (if a bit on the slow side) but during the winter, it was having a LOT of problems starting up at all. I thought this was kind of normal, since it was very cold. Then, in summer, there was a rainy day over a week ago and I left my car out in the rain, and it wasn't that cold, but when I came back, it would not start at ALL - suffice to say, I needed to have the Benz towed to my home.

I got home, checked the situation out, and the battery reported as dead. So, I charged it, and tried to start it - no dice, I was very frustrated. I checked the battery, and it was a dead again, probably from my repeated starting attempts after that (am I right?). So, I decided to do what I did before, and plugged the car into the block heater. Few days later, decided to check on it... and VOILA it started instantly again. Was the strangest thing.

I know something must be wrong because it wasn't this bad before - but, the question is, what?? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

(please pardon me if I posted in the wrong forum - it might be my eyesight but I did not see a sub-forum for my type of MB.)