Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

It's always good to shop around

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 GLS580; 2019 E450 4M Coupe; 2019 Lexus ES350
It's always good to shop around

I just wanted to share my story from earlier today and remind everyone that it's always best to shop around when performing any service at a Mercedes dealership.

So, I had an issue with my cigarette lighter in my 2018 GLE350. Naturally, I took my car to the the same Mercedes dealership where I purchased it from - Mercedes Sugar Land in Texas. When the service adviser took my car to the shop, I was informed that the technician checked my vehicle and a fuse needed to be replaced. The service adviser said this wasn't covered by warranty and that it would cost $60! This isn't a matter of whether I can afford the $60, but I refuse to believe a simple fuse + 30 seconds of labor would cost that much. So off I went to Mercedes of West Houston. After explaining the malfunctioning cigarette lighter, the service adviser said the cost is $5 to replace the fuse. This price discrepancy is ridiculous! But wait, it gets better....after spending about 10 min in the shop, my car came back out and I was informed that I didn't need a new fuse and everything works as is. It was my impatience that made me think the lighter was broken.

So there you go - one dealership (MB Sugar Land) charges 12x more ($60) and wanted me to replace a working part, while another dealership (MB of West Houston) charges only $5 for the same job and later informs me that I actually didn't need anything done.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Wow.