Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Baltimore Port Shipping question

Old 12-27-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
2019 E63, 2011 E350, 1997 F50
Baltimore Port Shipping question

So I see the ship arrived at port today, but I know the cars wont be off the ship until tomorrow. So how long does it take to get the car from port-> my dealer. What steps are their in between and what is the timeline usually like. Just planning everything out so I can let my PPF guy know the timeline.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,815 Likes on 3,005 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I have experience shipping containers from Europe to the United States, via ports of New York/New Jersey, Norfolk and Baltimore. This is for industrial goods, not automobiles.

In general:

The goods (vehicle, in this case) needs to clear customs, and duty needs to be paid. For high volume traffic and experienced parties, such as vehicles and Daimler-Benz, this is normally a smooth process.

The vehicle is off loaded from the roll on/roll off vessel and placed in a storage lot. The vehicle is then loaded on a railcar or vehicle hauler (truck trailer) and brought to the dealer, in case of a trailer, or another rail yard, in case of rail.

How long does this take? Several days. Or several weeks if there are delays in any step of the chain. It could be that your vehicle is loaded on a rail car or car hauler, and experiences intermediate drop off deliveries along the way before reaching your dealer. To know for sure, you need the bill of lading from the vessel, and the inland transportation order for inland freight, by rail or car hauler. Probably hard to obtain this information.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
Mine took about 5 days or so to get to the dealer It actually left the VPC about 3 days later and then took that Friday - Monday to reach the dealer which is only 30 minutes away lol.
​​​