Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Should I get an extended warranty??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get an extended warranty??

Should I get a warranty on a 2002 MB C230 that has 24,000 miles on it?. Extended warranty will be 4y/50m $1862 ($100 deductible) 4y/50m $1242 ($200 deductible) or 4y/40m $1529 ($100 deductible) 4y/40m $1020 ($200 deductible)

The car still has a 25,000 mile warranty on it now, so this warranty, I'm thinking about purchasing, is only going to cover about 1 1/2 years. Is it worth it??

Last edited by rugaluga; 06-17-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Extended warranty...

Mr rugaluga:
Originally posted by rugaluga
Should I get a warranty on a 2002 MB C230 that has 24,000 miles on it?. Extended warranty will be 4y/50m $1862 ($100 deductible) 4y/50m $1242 ($200 deductible) or 4y/40m $1529 ($100 deductible) 4y/40m $1020 ($200 deductible)

The car still has a 25,000 mile warranty on it now, so this warranty, I'm thinking about purchasing, is only going to cover about 1 1/2 years. Is it worth it??
In my experience, I get a warranty that will cover the vehicle while I own it (say, if you are planning to keep the car 7 more years, then I would get a warranty that will cover the vehicle through that period). If you will be replacing your car in the near future, then the warranty may not be your best investment. I had been told last year when I purchase several vehicles, that I would be able to "transfer" the warranty from one car to another, that in the event the vehicle in question was sold, then I would be allowed to "transfer" the warranty to a new vehicle. This year I found out that was not true, at least the "terminology used was not appropriate. It turned out that I was "offered" to get a "refund" on the previous warranty THEN offered to "purchase" a new plan obviusly at a higher price, that even if counting that the car being replaced was identycal to the prior vehicle, for example, I was replacing a SL class vehicle with another SL class vehicle (not to think it was a chance from a C class to an S classs, where the size and features thus costs of the plan should be different). As far as costs???... well????... I am really bad at that ... normally I just pay unless it is an outrageous/unresonable ammount and that also could vary, what it is "unresonable" for me; may be very reasonable for you (an example of "unresonable" would be: one of my laptops went out of warranty, IBM "automatically" rolled it into a "bi-monthly" plan and the cost of the "bi-monthly" plan was more than the cost of a 5 yr warranty plan from IBM itself!... of course the "bi-montly" plan was "conveniently" billed directly to my IBM account... so, the "bi-monthly" plan was not "reasonable" to me --and it has been corrected now to a happy 5 yr plan).

Wiedermann