Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Dealership asking for OEM wheels back after I drove off the lot...

Old 12-31-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300>GLA45>E43>CLS53
Exclamation Dealership asking for OEM wheels back after I drove off the lot...

In a bit of a situation here. Went in to negotiate a trade in on one of my currently financed vehicles. Signed off on a new finance and took delivery of it. As I was driving off the lot with my new car. Dealership calls me back asking me to return the OEM rims/wheels of my trade in. Mind you again, this was a financed vehicle I was trading in. I drove the vehicle into the dealership with the aftermarket rims/wheels and was given the trade in value. The dealership now saying they assessed the value based on if the OEM rims/wheels were put back on. I've been asking so many of my automotive friends and they all told me to ignore the dealership. I never signed anything agreeing I would be returning the vehicle with the OEM rims/wheels because I drove the vehicle in with the aftermarket and was provided with the value of the vehicle's current state/condition/appearance. Nor did the dealership ever asked me at anytime if the trade in would include the set of OEM rims/wheels.

Just want anyone who can shine some light on this or have any experience. I know for a fact that this is completely different if it was a leased vehicle. There is a certain checklist that needs to be done during the time the lease is returned.

Thanks all! Happy New Year!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
What if you tell the dealer you no longer have the OEM wheels? How do they even know you still have them? When I got aftermarket wheels installed, i discussed with my independent shop owner whether to dispose of the OEM wheels..I did hang onto them, and they are stored them at the shop. I was also replacing the runflats with real tires. Now, the old runflats are there, if I need a replacement. But my decision could have gone the other way.

Last edited by gfmohn; 01-14-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 VW Golf TDI
Nothing in writing, sounds to me like their salesperson messed up and is now trying to cover himself. Up to you. Do you have any need for the OEM wheels? Do you even HAVE them? If so, I'd call and let them know you've got them, and you're willing to provide them and then sell them to the dealer for a reasonably low cost. If they want them bad enough, they'll buy them from you. Like above poster said, trade appraisal is based on being in its current condition with current equipment, unless noted otherwise.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 e300td
Tell them to kick rocks. Paperwork is signed
Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Could you go back to a dealership and demand OEM wheels if you bought a used car from them without them? Of course not, they'd tell you to get lost. Buying rules apply to both sides.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E420
How has the situation progressed?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
Originally Posted by Jasony
Nothing in writing, sounds to me like their salesperson messed up and is now trying to cover himself. Up to you. Do you have any need for the OEM wheels? Do you even HAVE them? If so, I'd call and let them know you've got them, and you're willing to provide them and then sell them to the dealer for a reasonably low cost. If they want them bad enough, they'll buy them from you. Like above poster said, trade appraisal is based on being in its current condition with current equipment, unless noted otherwise.
Exactly, if it isn't agreed to by both parties in writing it isn't part of the deal. If the roles were reversed, if thesalesman had told you the dealership was going to something wonderful for you and it wasn't in the sales contract they would likely tell you to exactly the same thing; nothing in writing, sorry. .

I'd politely tell them "No, you appraised the car with the aftermarket wheels and made no mention of requiring different wheels. It's too late to make changes or ask for additional concessions by either party". Be nice to them. You never know when you might need them. I'd work the conversation around to what they thought the wheels we re worth and then offer to sell them to them at a price slightly less than that.

Last edited by jinark; 01-31-2019 at 06:49 PM.