Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Looking for my next Mercedes - need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
Looking for my next Mercedes - need advice

Later this year I will be retiring a 2002 ML500 with about 257K currently on it. I have put a lot of money into the car replacing all the worn parts (brake booster, radiator, AC condenser, shocks and struts, engine mounts) as well as the occasional sensor, egr valve, etc... that go out. I even replaced the head unit so I could have apple car play. It's in great running shape, but my commute changed from 10 miles a day to 80 miles a day. 16.4 MPG on premium gas and the lingering feeling of another major repair … I just need a newer model for the commute. As it stands I'd probably keep the ML as a weekend car, we've shared some miles, we've gone through some major repairs together. I've got a great relationship with a mechanic who will go to auction and help me find a good used car.

Here's what I'm looking at - I want dependability and comfort on a long commute, I want my next 250K car:
  • E-Class - prefer the dependable W212 model - question is if it's easy to add Apple Car play to these cars - did the last model year come with that as an option / or is it easily added to the last model year
  • GLC - If I were to replace as an SUV, that looks like the a good option, but I haven't heard about reliability and how they hold up
  • GLA - These cars look fun, but i'm not sure if they have the tankiness that I like in the old ML500. I love that Kryptonite green as much as all my friends and family hate it.
  • Last MY of the ML class? Maybe? If it's easy to add carplay
Or … do I just replace the seat padding in my car, get new headlights, and keep the old soldier as a daily driver? Live with the rattles? Accept that it may one day have a failure that can't be easily repaired?

I seek the wisdom of those who have gone before me and tackled these existential questions...
Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
All about how much you want to spend.
Cheap way out is keep driving what you have invested your money in until she gets to major repair you do not want to pay for.

E class do get good mileage I have 2015 E400 and could get about 28mpg doing 70mph but I live in flat land. no apple plaything.
I think 2016 do have Applyplay though. (2017 starts W213)

Any SUV will not get very good mpg and if you were keeping your existing M then why have 2.
Drive a car and mix it up.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,830 Likes on 3,018 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
What is your budget?

I suggest a near new (1 or 2 year old) low mileage used vehicle that meets your needs for fuel consumption, seating and cargo carrying.

The GLA is, simply based on its low weight, not a good long term commuter, from a comfort and durability point of view. It will beat you up and get beaten up itself with a commute like yours. More metal = more better for comfort and durability.
The following users liked this post:
TheGlennsie (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 AM

2014 ML350 4Matic
If going sedan - want to max out at $35K on a CPO E class. That's about what a fully loaded Accord or Camry would cost, and my goal is to beat that comparison with more car for less money.

If SUV, willing to spend more. I like sitting high up on the commute, but the MPG kills me on my commute now.

I like everything I read about the W212 series E class in terms of reliability. I hadn't though of the weight of the car as adding to the comfort, and that's a great point.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 AM

2014 ML350 4Matic
How has the reliability been for you on the E400?

Do you have any thoughts on CPO v just having a good mechanic?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by TheGlennsie
How has the reliability been for you on the E400?

Do you have any thoughts on CPO v just having a good mechanic?
I put on over 24K miles and no issues other then have dealer update COMAND software for minor issue.
fuel miles is great as I can get over 500 miles per tank which takes about 17-19 gallons on fill up.

CPO for sure for my car at the time as the added was less then equal extended warranty at the time.

Most CPO are lease turn ins so really look for what you want.
In my case E400 are much more loaded car then E350 so no brainer.

If I was in market again I would look at 2016 E400.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:56 AM

BMW M3
Thanks for the tips