Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

A Watery Trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
A Watery Trunk

Forumites,The ecstasy of ownership has dampened with the 1st heavy rain since I bought my car!The trunk was dry, now it isn't.My problem is that I don't really understand how the water is getting in.Let me try to be clear, following a night of heavy rain;With the trunk closed & the trunk separator in position, it was the left hand side of the trunk carpet and the left side of the trunk separator which were wet.Ah ha thought I, trunk seal. Contact dealer, get it fixed, easy.I removed the carpet and have dried it out.I pat dried the carpet with more towel.I have put a rubber boot liner in.I have made and installed a waterproof cover of the air pump assemblyI then closed the trunk divider and covered it with a large old towel, now used for all things automotive.The following morning I chamoised the trunk lid, rear window and rear wings to remove all the water.On opening the trunk, only the left hand side of the towel was wet, not the carpet, not my waterproof coverI carefully checked the complete trunk seal, and the area below the rear window, for signs of water; nothing.This confused me!The only water in the trunk was on the divider. How can this be?It is no where near any potential leak point that is obvious to meAny suggestions, as always, gratefully received.John
Old 03-06-2019, 09:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,835 Likes on 3,022 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Can you post a few photos? It will help diagnosis. There is also an SL forum that you might receive more views and replies, if you post your question there.