Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes to reduce models, variants and options in the U.S. to simplify lineup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 730 Likes on 545 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Mercedes to reduce models, variants and options in the U.S. to simplify lineup

Mercedes to reduce models, variants and options in the U.S. to simplify lineup.
Interesting Article
Mercedes has a lineup with a ton of models and model variants. But according to a recent report from Automotive News, Mercedes told dealers that it plans on killing off some of its expansive U.S. selection in the coming year. This includes models, variants of those models, engine options and equipment packages.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/20/...=recirculation
Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 149 Likes on 124 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
On the surface, this sounds like good news to me; I find the MB model lineup baffling. BMW's lineup, while fairly extensive, is a lot more logical.

Unfortunately, after reading the article, it seems they are likely to continue with the ridiculous line of SUVs and drop the coupes and convertibles. If that's true, I'll be moving on to another brand when it's time to replace my car.

Last edited by Mr. Toad; 05-21-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad

Unfortunately, after reading the article, it seems they are likely to continue with the ridiculous line of SUVs and drop the coupes and convertibles. If that's true, I'll be moving on to another brand when it's time to replace my car.

Good luck. Everybody is killing off their coupes, sedans and convertibles and pushing crossovers and SUVs. Why? Because that's what people are buying today. I'm not thrilled about it either. Manual transmissions are disappearing as well.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,005 Likes on 3,147 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
The Mercedes model line covers all segments. I don’t see a retrenchment from model lines, but rather culling variants from within the lines. Coupes, convertibles, slimming the AMG line, all possible.

I think M-B should exit transmission manufacture and buy Aisin and ZF boxes. Leave it to the companies who make transmissions for a living. The xG-Tronics are not class leading. Put the resources liberated from transmission design and manufacture into MBUX enhancement, luxury interiors, exterior appearance (paint) and high performance engines/electric motors.
The following users liked this post:
fred9x (05-28-2019)