Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Is this just part of the MB owner experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 E63
Is this just part of the MB owner experience?

Since I've visited my local dealer after getting my car, every to the point, this is what I'd like done service request has been met with, "You look like you're a few pounds too heavy, so why don't we get you in here and lighten your wallet before we get to the issue?" I go in to find out if there's a COMAND/NAV update for my vehicle: they weren't sure if there was one or not. They did some cursory asking around and musing, and said they didn't think so, but if I came in for a diagnostic service to the tune of $150 or so they'd check while I was in. I also was unsure about said update in relation to Bluetooth functionality. Luckily someone on the forums helped me out, I ordered a CarPro, and I'm golden, but again, the response was we don't know but come in for a service appointment and once we've gotten that C-note off of you we'll be happy to find out.

My Keyless Go isn't functioning on the driver's door handle. Only that handle, which is an issue I've seen here on the forums and not a surprise. No biggie. I was near the dealership so I stopped in to ask how much to have it replaced. Whooooa there, cowpoke! We need to get you in here for a diagnostic service and check all potential issues before we can quote you on replacing that, because we need to be suuuuuure it's not your alternatorcarburetor or low headlight fluid .

I have never in my life had a service department so dedicated to selling me on extra time in shop this way. New and pre-owned vehicles we've taken to both dealerships and to specialty import shops in the past assess based on available information and then get things done. On top of the feeling of them trying to lighten the wallet, I see the possible undertones of why so many threads I read about dealership work mention the inordinate amount of time some services take. The dealership I had my PPI done with of course tried to sell me on what they thought would be pertinent care and that was expected. What I didn't expect was that simple questions that should result in a quick computer check for a yes or no or a to the point request for a quote on a hardware item replacement would be met with so much dithering. Even Land Rover didn't pull all this diagnostic appointment crap. If there was an issue they took the truck in based on whatever it was, puzzled it out, and got things done.

Do I just happen to be dealing with a service department that's out of the ordinary or is this going to be the norm from most MBUSA affiliates? I have a shop that I'm more than comfortable with for my normal services and most hardware, I just thought for these straightforward items I'd have it handled at the dealer. Seems I perhaps made a mistake even making the inquiries.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:20 AM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
I haven't notice the Parts Dept being that way. I have two local dealers and always check them against each other. I did have one case where they had a new Service
Advisor, prior Honda service advisor, really put the hard sell on tires, but he no longer there. They seem to work with me but still its expensive to maintain the vehicle
Old 08-15-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
My Service Advisor is very nice and tries very hard to be helpful, but he's let down by the actual service department, which is largely incompetent. I don't think they've ever had my car for less than a week, and they've had it for more than a month on more than one occasion. They've been working on several issues for two years now (literally, since I bought the car) and still haven't been able to resolve them. Every time I get the car back, the issues it went in for are still present and they've also done some type of cosmetic damage (e.g., holes in upholstered items, dents in trim, etc.), which they then have to order replacement parts to fix. We're rapidly approaching the point at which my car will have spent more time at the dealer than in my possession.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:47 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
FAWK the dealers........fawk the advisors and FAWK the part department!!! Avoid them at all cost and find a good indy shop. Can you tell us where you live and what dealers you use so we know who to avoid?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by hyperion667
FAWK the dealers........fawk the advisors and FAWK the part department!!! Avoid them at all cost and find a good indy shop. Can you tell us where you live and what dealers you use so we know who to avoid?
It's CPO warranty work and the dealer provides me with a loaner, so I'm driving their car the whole time mine's in the shop. I can't get that with an indy.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
It's CPO warranty work and the dealer provides me with a loaner, so I'm driving their car the whole time mine's in the shop. I can't get that with an indy.
Yes, I do understand. Luckily mine has a few loaners should I find the need to use one, but I usually occupy their posh, although small waiting area with my kids I have used a loaner once......it was an older Merc but felt rock solid and was a great drive.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 E63
For some reason I never got notification, but I appreciate the feedback. Seems I'm just lucky to have two good private MB specialty shops nearby. It's a shame that they try to double deal and be so underhanded about everything at the dealership rather than just doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done and provided assessments without issue.