Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Stories about having a car totaled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 08:11 PM

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
LS400
Stories about having a car totaled

I know a guy who's 5000 dollar clk will likely be totaled and I'm sure they'd only offer half that. When the damage is minimal. So basically collision is not worth it on an older car?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,928 Likes on 3,094 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
In my experience, total loss compensation from an auto insurance company is more than fair. Where is the "guy" coming up with a $5,000 value for the CLK? What year and mileage is the CLK?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
Generally collision isn't worth it not because the insurance companies aren't fair in their offer, but because the value is low in relation to premiums and average accident frequency. If you have a car that is truly worth $5K and you only have 1 crash in 10 years that total's your car you'll pay more in premiums than the insurance will have ever paid back in a fair scenario.

But if you're on the wire financially it can still have value to you as you'll have money to put towards a replacement car immediately where you may not have the liquid capital to do so on your own.

So, like everything, there is general advise and reasoning and there are individual and situational realities.