Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Cheap W210 E55 with Sketchy History

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2019 | 04:56 PM
E39

BMW
Cheap W210 E55 with Sketchy History

Hi,

I'm new here from Bimmerforums, but I am hoping to get into a W210 E55 soon. I've found a car I thought looked great for a good price, but as I did more digging, I realized that it was once declared a total loss. However, according to the history report it was issued a salvage title erroneously but was later corrected (and the photo I have of the title doesn't show any branding). Also, the seller claims that the mileage shows 160k, but the history report shows it as being 250k+. So, I am wondering if the odometer was changed back 100k miles, or maybe the cluster pixels are burnt out? I can't think of anything else that could cause this discrepancy. All in, this car definitely has a rough past, but is extremely cheap and I likely could sell it for more as a parts car if I wanted to after driving for a while. So, I thought I'd ask around here and see if you guys think I should look at it in person or not, or run away as fast as possible. Thanks in advance! Really want a W210 E55, but they are hard to find and I am mostly looking at high-milage rougher examples anyway.

Best,
Lucas
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by E39
Hi,

I'm new here from Bimmerforums, but I am hoping to get into a W210 E55 soon. I've found a car I thought looked great for a good price, but as I did more digging, I realized that it was once declared a total loss. However, according to the history report it was issued a salvage title erroneously but was later corrected (and the photo I have of the title doesn't show any branding). Also, the seller claims that the mileage shows 160k, but the history report shows it as being 250k+. So, I am wondering if the odometer was changed back 100k miles, or maybe the cluster pixels are burnt out? I can't think of anything else that could cause this discrepancy. All in, this car definitely has a rough past, but is extremely cheap and I likely could sell it for more as a parts car if I wanted to after driving for a while. So, I thought I'd ask around here and see if you guys think I should look at it in person or not, or run away as fast as possible. Thanks in advance! Really want a W210 E55, but they are hard to find and I am mostly looking at high-milage rougher examples anyway.

Best,
Lucas
Sketchy history..... such as this. imho, I'd walk away UNLESS, your into selling the parts to make up for the whole (if that's your thing)
Lesson #1 - you get what you pay for.
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:13 PM
E39

BMW
Originally Posted by khomer2
Sketchy history..... such as this. imho, I'd walk away UNLESS, your into selling the parts to make up for the whole (if that's your thing)
Lesson #1 - you get what you pay for.
I was also thinking that, but I'd pay no more than $1k for it, at which point I figure I can't really lose for a perfectly drivable E55... but maybe the hassle is not worthwhile.