Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Vibration in front tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C 300 4 matic sport
Vibration in front tires

Hi! I have a problem thats been absolutely driving me nuts. I have a 2011 c300 sport 4 matic 50,000 miles. About two years ago, I got a flat and I was unable to pull over because there was no shoulder and it was a VERY busy highway (would have been dangerous). I got off as soon as I could but still bent the rim. Got all 4 tires replaced because they needed them anyway and had the rim fixed. Ever since then I have been having a vibration in the front two tires, mostly the passenger side at about 55+. I took it back to the place that did the tires 6 times. Found nothing. Took it to a different tire place, they did an alignment and a rebalance. Even had all the rims rechecked to make sure they weren't bent. Those helped a little and now the problem is worse again. Taking it to another mechanic this week but I am at a loss. I'd prefer to not get rid of it since I work from home and don't have many miles on it but its frustrating and at times scary when you're doing a high speed and feel this vibration. Any suggestions?!

Last edited by Kateannh; 10-14-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 183 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
First of all, I would never repair a damaged rim, but replace it.

How much balance weight do you have in the repaired rim ?

Find a tire shop that have a Hunter road force balancer, and get the tires re-balanced.

Have the tire shop fine balance the wheels while fitted on the car.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:53 PM

2011 C 300 4 matic sport
The tire shop told me it would be ok, a few friends of mine said the same thing. I'm hesitant to spend money on new rims and then it not fix the problem. Not sure how much weight I have on the repaired rim and I will look for the Hunter road Force balancer. Is it possible it is the tires themselves? I read some where there could be flat spots from poor storage at the wearhouse.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 183 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
Bad tires are know to be released, and you can identify them by looking at how they spin on the wheel balancer, and how much weight has to be added into the rim, for proper balancing.

Usually the tires with the most added weight, goes on the back.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM

2011 C 300 4 matic sport
Interesting, thanks for the info!
Old 03-14-2020, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford
Vibration - It is usually caused by a defective tire or a bent wheel. Tire and wheel related vibrations occur at a low frequency. In a simple meaning, it is mainly seen when the vehicle speeds up above 40 mph.

Some major sources of vibration are:
  • Wheel condition
  • Uniformity
  • Wheel & tire imbalance
  • Conicity
  • Brake rotor
  • Constant velocity
  • Radial force variation
When diagnosing a vehicle with a vibration concern, then it is necessary to obtain the frequency of vibration. This can be checked with the help of a technician.

Vibrations can be avoided by periodical maintenance and vehicle inspection. Regular maintenance should include maintaining proper tire pressure, wheel balancing, and wheel alignment.

If any type of noise during vibration is noted then there is a problem with engine and transmission. There are several more types of vibrations. It is better to take help from an expert.

If the problem is with the rim or wheel then immediately it should be replaced to avoid further problems.