Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What oil to put in a 2007 e550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Ben's 2007 e550, 5.5 litre v8 7 speed auto AMG Kit
What oil to put in a 2007 e550

I just had my vehicle serviced at a local mechanic. Its a 2007 e550 with 85,000km on the dash. The mechanic has put 10w 30 oil in I see on the invoice and I thought it was supposed to run on a 5w or 0w. I am living in a relatively hot climate. Will this damage my vehicle? Thank you
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 180 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The W number only applies to cold starting. In your case the 30 applies to running warmed up and the W number has zero influence or meaning during warmed up running.

What’s more important is Mercedes 229.5 approval printed on the bottle.

W stands for winter and if you were concerned about particularly cold starting, note the following: MB 229.5 approval means a fully synthetic oil. I looked up Mobil 1 specs, and the cold pour points were identical for 0W, 5W, and 10W oils. (-55 F). With full synthetics, then, the numbers are mostly irrelevant. The relevance of the second number relates mostly to engine design, meaning sizes of internal clearances. Ambient temperatures are irrelevant. 30 is fine for an M273.

Again, it needs to be MB 229.5 (not 229.51 or especially .52, which are diesel oils)

Last edited by lkchris; 12-11-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bike
The 2007 e550 is my favorite car. I have bought a couple of cars of this model in two different colors. Castrol GTX Motor Oil is best for this car as I have been using it for many years. I have traveled a lot in these cars and the Castrol GTX Motor Oil has a key role in these cars. I would recommend you guys to use this oil to keep your vehicle error-free for a long time. I also feel very relax while getting online assistance from this https://newschant.com/education/busi...pros-and-cons/ site when I feel tiredness after finishing my long journeys.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 873 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by lkchris
The W number only applies to cold starting. In your case the 30 applies to running warmed up and the W number has zero influence or meaning during warmed up running.

What’s more important is Mercedes 229.5 approval printed on the bottle.

W stands for winter and if you were concerned about particularly cold starting, note the following: MB 229.5 approval means a fully synthetic oil. I looked up Mobil 1 specs, and the cold pour points were identical for 0W, 5W, and 10W oils. (-55 F). With full synthetics, then, the numbers are mostly irrelevant. The relevance of the second number relates mostly to engine design, meaning sizes of internal clearances. Ambient temperatures are irrelevant. 30 is fine for an M273.

Again, it needs to be MB 229.5 (not 229.51 or especially .52, which are diesel oils)
I agree with you. So nice to see someone who knows what they're talking about.

I did my share of engine building in the old days, and so few get the bearing clearances thing. We used to build "loose" engines for the dragstrip and needed 50 sometimes even 60 final weight oils. Tighter tolerances and a lighter viscosity oil is needed. By tolerances, as said, it's the second number (after the W) and not the first. The first might get you started on severely cold days.

The best advice is follow the mfgr's spec as those engineers did the same thing. They specced certain bearing clearances that need a certain weight oil to lubricate properly.