Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Not wearing much...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2004 | 08:23 PM

Red face Not wearing much...

I tried posting this in another section but haven't gotten any replies yet. Did I post in the wrong section? Is my question too boring? Should I describe what I'm wearing?

Here's my question for anyone out there who has input:

I'm thinking of buying a used DIESEL Mercedes and wanted to know which year/model would be my best bet - hoping to spend between $2,000 and $15,000.

I could also buy a newer Volkswagen - any opinions about that? Thanks in advance.

Gabrielle
Old 07-21-2004 | 10:22 PM
MBWorld Founder

2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Originally Posted by Gabrielle
I tried posting this in another section but haven't gotten any replies yet. Did I post in the wrong section? Is my question too boring? Should I describe what I'm wearing?

Here's my question for anyone out there who has input:

I'm thinking of buying a used DIESEL Mercedes and wanted to know which year/model would be my best bet - hoping to spend between $2,000 and $15,000.

I could also buy a newer Volkswagen - any opinions about that? Thanks in advance.

Gabrielle
Ok, so what ARE you wearing? Kidding!

Unfortunately, these forums (and I don't mean just this one) are full of great information for newer cars...far less for the older models. Regarding diesels...depends. Where are you located? If you're in the US, I would say your options are limited. If I'm not mistaken the last MBZ diesel in the US was a W210 E-Class (E300D I believe) but I don't recall which year. Still, price would be in the high teens or low 20s I'm sure. It's really a shame as diesel engines have come a long way and turbo diesels are pretty much all you see in Europe these days. With the price of gas in the US, there may be a market yet for these cars here.
Old 07-21-2004 | 10:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
So what ARE you wearing? seriously
Old 07-21-2004 | 11:41 PM

Any more?

Thanks for the replies! I am in the US - in Los Angeles and I'd love any more info about older diesels if anyone has it.

And, I'm just going to sit here in my little nightie until I get the info I need

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2004 | 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG

And, I'm just going to sit here in my little nightie until I get the info I need

PICTURES !!!

It is too bad that MBUSA won't be able to bring the new E Class diesels into California for another couple of years.

I hear the new Diesel is fantastic. Lot's of power and very smooth/quiet.
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Exclamation Pics!!!!

Ms. Gabrielle!!!!!
...Should I describe what I'm wearing?

Gabrielle
Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
Ok, so what ARE you wearing? Kidding!
Originally Posted by Brunelleschi
So what ARE you wearing? seriously
Thanks for the replies! I am in the US - in Los Angeles and...///...I'm just going to sit here in my little nightie until I get the info I need

Thanks!
Originally Posted by awiner
PICTURES !!!
In case you haven't noticed, you DID bring attention to your thread... ... and in case you didn't see it, I'll say PICTURES!!! and forget about the description of your little nightie...lol...

DAM!!!... women are sooooo good at what they do... and that is the sad part... they do know how to do whatever they want with men!!!... talk about the weak sex!!!... (men that is!!!!!)

As Mr awiner said:
PICTURES !!!
Well, not that part... lol

...It is too bad that MBUSA won't be able to bring the new E Class diesels into California for another couple of years.

I hear the new Diesel is fantastic. Lot's of power and very smooth/quiet.
I WILL second that one!.. sad diesels are not coming to the US...

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 07-22-2004 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Thanks for the replies! I am in the US - in Los Angeles and I'd love any more info about older diesels if anyone has it.

Thanks!
Ok, that's definitely one way to get attention.

Seriously tho, a budget of 2-15k can get you pretty much any 80s or early 90s diesel you want. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for.

The cheapest best diesel MB ever made was the w123 300D turbo

The best more modern driver would be one of the w124 diesels

A good larger model would be a w126 350SD/SDL

A good complicated expensive goliath would a w140 300SD

What specifically are you looking for in light of these options?
Old 07-22-2004 | 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
I've had an '84 300D for a while and can tell you that they are rock solid cars that will basically run strong forever w/o any major problems,,, very well built.... the annoying thing about the old diesels is that they are LOUD, SLOW, and they SHAKE like crazy...
your price range had a huge gap, so if its gotta be a benz diesel, get the newest possible one, I'm sure you can find a clean '94 for your range, take your time to find a nice, well-maintained one, preferably from a private seller who is the 1st owner and took good care of it.... The best thing about these cars is that ur driving a relatively large sedan with a lot of torque that still gets phenomonal mileage....GL, let us know what you decide to do!!
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:35 PM

C240
California aside, any ideas as to when we will have a diesel or diesel/hybrid C-Class????
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:00 PM

Now that's more like it! Thanks guys!

I guess I did finally get some attention...thank you, thank you, thank you And all the info has been very helpful. I guess I'm looking for the newest possible car, with lowest miles for the cheapest $ (isn't that what we all want?).

I'd love to do something in the 90's (I like the newer body styles). I'm searching for diesel b/c I'm hopefully going to be trying biodiesel to help save our planet ...

I'm actually going on Saturday to look at a '91 350SD with a new factory installed engine (55K), no accidents, 2 owners, leather, sunroof, cd, excellent condition in/out. He has it listed at $9950. Does that sound like a good car?

If you think so, what should I offer him?

Gabrielle
Old 07-23-2004 | 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
What a ridiculous title.
Old 07-25-2004 | 06:19 AM
Guest0001

Are you going to tell us what you are wearing or not?