Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Wondering...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering...

I have been thinking about buying a mercedes 240D diesel, i believe it is a 1974. It has a little rust, however I am not too concerned as I know auto-body. I am not sure right now as to the state of the engine, etc. because I have not asked the current owner. Interior is good. I was wondering about a good asking price if it is even worthwhile to get in the first place. Any input would be appreciated.
Thx
Old 05-02-2002, 03:53 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Hi.

My former MB was a -79 230 (W123). A very reliable car, wich only problem was rust, rust and more rust (those suckers rusted everywhere!). If the car you're interested in is in a drivable condition, my guess is that it's worth somewhere around $200-500, considering this is no "classic" benz, but just another "old" car. If rust is of no concern for you, and the engine is running allright, then I can't see no reasson not to buy it. If you're in Europe, there are lots of spare-parts available at the junk-yards, and new steel to fix rust is pretty cheap.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2002, 07:37 AM

Arrow according

To MB they list the 1974 240D as a "classic". Gimmick or not, I don't know. I just would like to get a mercedes that I can afford. I am not too concerned about the condition. Should be drivable just needs some general work on it.