Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Broke ignition coil's "wire cover"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C230
Broke ignition coil's "wire cover"

Hi folks,
I'm a new member and own a C230 Kompressor (year 2000). I'm a DIY-guy and this forum has been quite helpful for learning.
I decided to put this question in the general forum as it seems universal to most Mercedes and could help some other folks one day.

2 weeks ago, I was replacing my ignition coil and in the process broke the plastic back cover that protect the car's electric wires that plugs into the ignition coil.
That ignition coil was hard to reach and that plasticky part was stubbornly stuck and simply hard to detach from the ignition coil. Btw, if anyone knows an easy way to take it out, pls let me know for next time
So now, I'm driving without that plastic cover for that ignition coils. The other one is intact (C230 has 2 coils). There's no issue so far.

QUESTIONS:
Without that plastic part, am I gonna run into issues long run, e.g. corrosion of the wires or worst ?
And how's that part officially called? I'm asking because I'm trying to see if I could buy a replacement online.
Is replacing it going to be an easy for a moderate DIY.
Many thanks for any advice.

Attaching 4 photos of that part: 1) ignition coil with the back cover 2) ignition coils without it 3) close-up 4) close-up